HowTo Muff Your Acoustic Kit(Low Cost/Retaining Feel/Touch/Sound-Avoid Complains

Pads does serve it's Purpose and I am stillusing it every day for Practice eg Strokes......However there are certain things you cannot get the best benefit as in Playing with a Muffled Kit too ... eg - How are you going to practice Moving around the Kit ..so a Muffled Kit is good for Practice here...as in a real situation.

YES jackpot! thats y i had to air drum LOL! =X or else my entire kit is just my pad.. moving around the corner of the pad, and that would realli make the playing worse as when comes to a real kit, i might juz miss the toms because of unrealistic distance during practise..

hey guys,

check out how people in japan do their vib/sound proof room.

FYI, sound there leads and transmit a lot easier than us as their have thinner walls and floors with material of mostly wood, as space is precious there.

In HDB like us, solid structure of concrete actually helps to absorb quite an amount of vibs.

check out the intense muffing of the walls and floors, especially despite them already using electric kit.

http://www.drummerjapan.com/modules/antivibration

http://www.drummerjapan.com/modules/antivibration/index.php?content_id=10

http://www.drummerjapan.com/modules/antivibration/index.php?content_id=3

http://www.drummerjapan.com/modules/antivibration/index.php?content_id=8

click on

Tested - Workable !

Last Sunday 23th May 2010 one of the Drummers in this Forum call me and came to my home to test out the Muffled Kit as his Neighbour had make several complains to the HDB and personally went down to his home pertaining to drumming at his home.

He likes this idea after testing my Kit as he feels he is still able to get good pretty close rebound on the kit and the sound is muffled well.

I asked him to just stand outside my home with my door opened and I play the Kit using all my might (double Bass Drum and toms) - - of course there will be some sound but the level of sound is very acceptable…and if the door is closed….I don’t think it will be louder than someone beside your home playing the Piano.

The snares still give off the snare sound in a muffled way. Toms too as well as Bass Drums.

Alll in all – he finds that it is a great idea (not the best maybe) – but what’s most important is – we are still able to do our daily practice as a drummer in a HDB Unit (without incurring all the high Cost of Sound-Proofing)..retaining Feel (which is most important here)

PS: - Well as mentioned again - Credit of this wonderful idea was from Alvin The Drummer from Music Lab.

Regards

Eric

no prob =)

personally i am quite devoted in studying the technical of muffing and acoustics as i cant practice with a conscience as long as i know that i might be disturbing ppl haha.

I tried everything from electronic kit, DIY pads practice kit, plastic cymbals, mesh heads, rubber pads almost everything thing that is available within most ppl's budget, but in the end nothing beats practicing on an acoustic kit. The variety in hard rebound of different cymbals (like hats and ride just rebound so differently) and the different responsiveness of rebound of different heads just cannot be replicated.

just thought that i will do a brief summary of muffing methods for bass drum as it is the most important drum to muffle in a HDB, as bass frequencies travel though solid like floors easily, and the bass drum is closer to the ground that all other drums. note that they are not originated from me but from everyone's contributions:

Methods:

1. elevated platform/carpet. - The most important. thick carpet is a must. an elevated platform can be constructed with various methods.for those with more budget, an artificial platform rise separated by air can be done, as air is a good insulator. A cheaper method which i use is laying planks of soft wood and a very thick carpet under my drumset. They really help absorb a lot of vibrations of the bass frequencies.

2. thick pillows in the drum - 2nd most important, the number of pillows put in a bass drum depends on how much u want to muffle. From what i had experiment, muffling only starts to be obvious when the pillow rest one either/both heads with a certain weight. pillows,can be substitute with many different materials at your own experimentation, like old olds, foam, soft toys etc. Do note that the rebound of the bass pedal beater will be affected to a certain extent depending on your muffing, Too tight muffing will result in a tight skin and thus faster rebound.

Personally i stuff my bass drum very full, but not very tight. Its muffs around 70 percent of the volume and bass frequencies significantly.

3. hole in resonant head - cutting a hole of less than 7" in your resonate head can also reduce volume as it allows air to escape. anything bigger than 7" is almost equivalent to no resonant head.

4. Use a thinner depth/small diameter bass drum - a thinner depth/small diameter bass drum results in less air passing through, will also reduced the volume and bass frequencies.

Note that the all above methods mentioned are not taking account into the tone of the drums, as personally i find not much point in have overly great tone when practicing at home as the acoustics of the apartment is very different from studio, due to noise leaks and wall reflecting the sound waves. Personally i just make sure that each of my drums sound can be recognized. (snare sound like snare, bass sound like bass etc)

Last edited:
Hey RD, I'm using a Pearl Rhythm Traveler drumset with muffle heads and the rebound/feel really sucks. I'm keen on trying out your method but my toms don't have the bottom heads... i'm thinking of using a wire/cotton mesh to cover the empty space at the bottom so i can keep the tontines inside the toms, do you think that might work?

Hey RD, I'm using a Pearl Rhythm Traveler drumset with muffle heads and the rebound/feel really sucks. I'm keen on trying out your method but my toms don't have the bottom heads... i'm thinking of using a wire/cotton mesh to cover the empty space at the bottom so i can keep the tontines inside the toms, do you think that might work?

The ( Black-Muffled Head ) “The Rebound” from these Black-Kinda-Net-Like batter Heads – is Bad – for Practicing

Seriously – I tried using that and I took it out immediately after a week…as I realize – It will affect my Nomal Practice and Drumming overtime …because the Rebound is terrible (Bound much better than a Basket Ball) …it is just way too Sensitive….If one keeps practicing on this heads - - you find yourself unable to play well at a Normal Acoustic Kit – DO NOT Practice on these Black Net-Looking Muffled Heads … Trust me.

And So - This is what I did after removing the “ Muffled Netlike Black Heads”

I went to Swee Lee and bought the “Remo Heads” to fix it on all Batter Heads of the Rythmn Traveller ( But must be the ones with the Round Black Dot at the Centre)– This is the most suitable heads – as it is mean’t for Concert Toms (meaning - Toms that are Open at the bottom) like during the Old-Days…and true enough - It sounded real good.

NOTE: - To make it Sound Better (as all 3 Toms are Shallow) – I paisted a pc of the ( thing that people put below the 4-legs of the Chairs eg like Felts into each Tom here) - -- Just paiste it under the Centre of the Black-Dot from below the Tom – this way one cant see (that there is a Small Muffle at your Toms) …..Your Kit will sound Good…I did this ( Only on the 3 Toms)

If you wanna silence this 5pc Rythmn Traveller Kit by putting Tontins inside the 2 Tom-Tom and the Floor Toms (The snare and bass Drum is Ok as it comes seal both ends) – I really Wonder – What Is the Best Way/Method, as I had never Tried that Before.

The Rythmn Traveller

RythmnT.jpg

LiousOnRT.jpg

The Muffled Kit – For My Practicing
MuffledKit.jpg

Hopes This Helps

Warmest Regards

Eric

Last edited:
Back