Guitar strap locks? Anyone?

delirium90

Hi all, I've decided to get a strap lock for my guitar just in case....
So which brands' strap locks would you players recommend for a lespaul user?
And do shops selling it install it for us or is it DIY?

It's pretty easy to DIY since it involves just a screwdriver and some careful following instructions.

Although I'm not a strap lock user, the Dunlop one should be the go-to.

Dunlop strap lock user here. I have got them on both my guitars.

My experience with them is that they lock well, so obviously they do what they are supposed to do and I have a peace of mind when I gig. But beyond that I have several complaints about it. Firstly it's rather difficult to install the bit that should be attached to your strap. Removing it is difficult too and I have had sore fingers doing so. Secondly, the metal seem to tarnish rather quickly. Metal Polish didn't help much.

I'm looking at LOXX strap locks from city music for my third guitar. They look kinda pretty, hopefully installs easier than the Dunlop ones. And as someone mentioned, having a pull-release mechanism seems less likely to accidentally disengage the lock than Dunlop's push ones.

Last advice, while changing your strap pins and you find that your screws do not fit the guitar, do not think of re-drilling first. For my guitars I managed to find the screws with the same screw thread that can fit the new pins. The screw threads are pretty standard so you should not have any problems finding similar ones at a hardware shop.

I use Schallers! They're great and easy to install. Just gotta tighten the nuts on the strap side once in awhile to make sure they're secure! Cheap too! And if you happen forget to bring the strap with straploks on, you can just pop a regular strap on.

I use the Dunlop ones, very strong and reliable.

Yes that bit at the strap can be tricky to install - I use a pair of pliers to snap the E-ring into position. One end of the pliers on the edge of the E-ring and the other end of the pliers on the main shaft and then snap the ring in.

I use Schallers! They're great and easy to install. Just gotta tighten the nuts on the strap side once in awhile to make sure they're secure! Cheap too! And if you happen forget to bring the strap with straploks on, you can just pop a regular strap on.

I'm kinda skectical about the effectiveness of the Schallers though, if you have to screw them in once in awhile to ensure they are secure. What happens if you forget, would it loosen to the point the guitar might drop? If that is so, then I'd rather use the cumbersome Dunlop ones, coz I won't have to fasten anything.

I have never used Schallers before so I am not educated on their design, please educate. =)

Used to use Dunlops on all guitars (had them on 4-5 guitars) had it fail on me because of the locking clasp system, switched all to Schallers after that.

Schallers work way better IMHO. The nuts on strap come loose naturally, consider how the system is installed onto the strap, the constant movement of the strap while you're playing, naturally causes the locking nut on top to move and loosen. Easy fix though, loctite or superglue fixes it on pretty much for good.

an unorthodox and super crazy cheap method here gotten from a good friend of mine:

get a pair of those small rubber/plastic washers at your electronics store for $1

10-wash-3_01_1.jpg

Put them on once, never remove them, you're all settled.

Do buy the proper sized ones, any bigger/smaller and there's not much point is there? =)

Sorry just a side question since I'm also considering to get straplocks too.

I'm quite certain on getting Schallers' strap locks but have no idea where to get them in Singapore; anyone have any idea of it?

Thanks.

Regards
Sebastian

Back