Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont, i play by ear!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cR.drums

Hey SOFT musicians!

What method do you use for transcribing music? Pencil and paper or do you have some softwares that help you out?
Or do you just play by ear?

Im a drummer and transcribe music using pencil and paper and it's painfully irritating.

My favourites are Anytune (for audio only) and SpeedupTV (for video).

They help to slow down the song and repeat a portion in loops.
This will help better understand what is being played.

No fixed method. All depends on the purpose, the instrument(s) in question, the genre etc. In the good old days, I use pencil and paper but mainly for full orchestral transcriptions. Good ear training as a result. I don't do as much transcriptions nowadays, but when I do do it, I still rely sometimes on pencil and paper. Otherwise, I use Finale.

For drums, I can see why pencil and paper is a pain. Probably easier with e-drums and midi trigger to get it down on software. Most DAW has drums/percussion notations.

Hey SOFT musicians!

What method do you use for transcribing music? Pencil and paper or do you have some softwares that help you out?
Or do you just play by ear?

Im a drummer and transcribe music using pencil and paper and it's painfully irritating.
I ask my teacher do for me

I think that being able to play by ear has a lot to do with natural talent. I've always been able to do it, and there are people who can play better than me, but they just can't hear anything and it has to be written down for them.

Usually I can play things by ear straight off like that. But for the more complex stuff, I just have to write it down. Even when you can play by ear it's better to write some things down so that you can keep track of how many bars of section what follows which other section.

When transcribing, I use musescore to write down the notes. It can play back the notes by MIDI so that you can check if it sounds funny and go back and change it. I play the original music with Windows Media player so if I want to hear one bar over and over again I can always click on the scroller.

I won't be able to transcribe drums at the moment because I'm not trained in drums. I'm not familiar with what the different drums sound like.

I've transcribed Slash's part from Sweet Child of Mine, although I don't think I can play it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Me4F1yciKDOVZVSTdnbXd0bms/edit?usp=sharing

Latest posts

Back