Thing of Gold.

Rino

Just this past Thursday,23 Oct 2014, the Kallang Theater came to live once more. I witnessed legend in the making. It is none other than 2014 Grammy Award winners, Snarky Puppy. For all you jazz, fusion, R&B, funk, latin, hip-hop lovers out there, Snarky Puppy needs no introduction to you at all. The band plays a very nice blend of those genres. They are able to sound so tight, clean and good yet not too technical for the general music listeners to enjoy them.

The venue was rather surprising because I was expecting it to be at Esplanade's Recital Studio. Honestly, I thought Kallang Theater actually has closed down. It has been quite a while since I've been there to watch a concert or stage play. However, it was refreshing to go there once more for a concert. Feels nostalgic to be there once more.

The band's performance was amazing despite traveling here in a smaller and different line up. They reminded me once more as to why they truly deserve the Gammy Award and why I love them so much since few years back. Michael League and Larnell Lewis were so tight. They're probably the most tightest bassist-drummer partnership I have ever seen on stage. They did not sacrifice their main job despite showboating and being creative on all the songs. The band played a fair balance of their older stuff and their materials from their latest albums.Though, I wish they did play Jambone and Lingus on that night and personally, the sound tech/crew did not the band justice. The sound was not well balanced in my point of view. However, the band was still able to deliver top notch performance.

I really hope this isn't the last time the band comes to Singapore. I was pretty bumped that I did not get to meet Larnell Lewis. On the positive side, I did manage to shake the hand of Michael League and chat with him for a bit. He is such a humble man.

Until next time, another blog post. I am still having that post gig syndrome while writing this post and listening to Snarky Puppy's latest album, We Like it Here.

Back