Studio Jokes : Words that sounds wrong on 2nd thought

blueprintstudios

I almost speak my mind without processing, literally "vomit" out at times. So in case any of you recordists probably have this problem, ever said something so fast that sounds right in audio-lingo... but then stop to think later in the common-world-language that it sounds totally wrong?

"warm and wet" are not the words to describe the female vocalist in the ideal mix.
> "I like to mix <Female Vocalist Name>'s vocals with that warm and wet feel..."
wet = i believe it's usually a layman description to "heavily compressed"

"For the weekend I'm all yours" are not the words to use when you've finally scheduled Sat and Sun nicely purely for recording..
> "my wife already made plans and I cancelled all my other commitments, so I'll be on standby, for the weekend I'm all yours"

"I'll swell for you" are not the words to use when doing a favour for fading in of volume (volumeswelling effect) of guitars for the guitarist.
> especially wrong if you're saying it to a male musician..

do share if you got your own inside jokes.

"that was a perfect take! let's do it again."

i used to laugh so hard at my friend's setup because he had a 'aural exciter' and a 'big bottom'.

"I just love that bottom end!"

"Can we do that again? But gentler this time around?"

"Can you roll off the top?"

"Just feel it!" (the groove)

i havent actually recorded anything, but these are some things my singer always says that sounds wrong.
*speaking to the lead guitarist- "dude, you need to be thicker"
*speaking to the drummer- "i just want you to bang the drums damn hard. just bang it man, be one with it."
*speaking to the lead guitarist again- "let me hear that woman tone man! make the guitar moan!"

:)

Back