strat noiseless pickups with lots of hum

bluesmonkey

Ok can someone help please?

here is the background. I have a strat with mexi pots and noiseless pickups. there was intermittent noise, so I took it to a guitar shop and had the switch replaced and since it came back there has been alot of hum. the guy says its my pickups that i need to change which will cost around 300$ which i think is bs.

Ive checked all the grounds(ill attach a pic soon) it the hum seems to get much better when:

1. I turn the middle tone pot all the way down. hum gets much better in neck and nec/middle. still noisy in the rest of the pickups.

2. the bottom tone knob doesnt change the hum in all of the pickups, its still really loud.

does anyone know what the problem is?
thanks!

300 srsly? bs anw what store did u bring it to? it might explain a lot if we knew the store u brought it to

the guy says its my pickups that i need to change which will cost around 300$ which i think is bs.

$300 for pickups? What "boutique pickups" was he trying to sell you? haha

From what you're telling me, it could be the grounding? Do you have copper shielding tape in your cavities? If you have, it might help. Before you do anything, check your wiring, it could be a minor error.

Last edited by a moderator:
last time i had a problem with my strat when the ground wire connecting the volume pot to the bridge came off.

I had weird hum noises which were eliminated when i used my finger to contact the volume knob(i.e. with the knob removed and my finger was in contact with the metal part)

U can try to see if the hissing is removed if u can cut the hum by using your finger to contact the pots with its knobs removed. there could be a wire break/solder break situation in the grounding circuit of your guitar.

If thats the case there is nothing wrong with your pickups and u juz need to do a minor solder job to fix it. Or u could find a reasonably priced n trusty tech to do it for u

The problem is the grounding the the soldering of the cables to the pots. Lousy solder jobs will usually cause these problems.

thanks guys its all sorted. I had noisy pots, as well as the switch wasnt soldered in properly! I didnt take it to anyone in Singapore (overseas)so dont worry guys no one to watch out for haha

thanks guys its all sorted. I had noisy pots, as well as the switch wasnt soldered in properly! I didnt take it to anyone in Singapore (overseas)so dont worry guys no one to watch out for haha

Great! Did you use copper or aluminium shielding tape?

Back