Squier California Series Fat Statocaster

wong_stanley

Squier California Series Fat Statocaster
Price: approximately $300
img

Squier guitars are the cheaper alternatives to Fender guitars. Squier is related to Fender like how Gibson is related to Epiphone. Squier produces quality guitars at affordable prices, and it has always been categorized as the “poor man's” version of a Fender guitar. Despite saying that, it does not mean that the qualities of the guitars are neglected due to their affordable prices. This particular guitar is made in China and for some reason this model is not featured on the Squier website. This model is available in both HSS and SSS configuration.

Features: One-piece maple neck, fat "C" shaped neck, die-cast Squier tuners, synchronous tremolo, agathis body, 21 Medium Jumbo Frets, 5-way switch. The model I have has an almost unfinished neck and fretboard, the tuners are fine they do the job very well. The tremolo unit is fine but after long extended use of the tremolo the strings do not stay in tune. The medium jumbo frets make playing easier.

Sound: The agathis body emulates the characteristics of a mahogany body but less complex sounding. The stock pickups are not that great, but good enough for novice players and those who just use it as a practice guitar. The pickups can produce a fat sound with a little bit of a vintage tone and a little bit of twang almost like a Fender Stratocaster. The Bridge pickup sounds for rock music but when it comes to clean it just lacks a little character.

Playability: The neck is fat and has a great feel, you can feel the smoothness of the neck. The body makes playing really comfortable

Conclusion: This guitar is made for the average guitarist without high expectations for tone and sound, especially if the player wants a feel of a Fender Stratocaster at a fraction of the price. This is a value for money guitar considering the craftsmanship and very little flaws i will give it a 8/10.

Please forgive me for any mistakes made, feedbacks are welcome.

Last edited:
I am not too sure about the Standard. But IMHO i find that the california series sounds a little better than the bullet and infinity. Because the california series has better stock pickups. if you ever seen a california series you will realize that each pickups has the word fender engraved on them. And the california series is heavier than the other 2. As for the shops you may check Maestro Zen, they may still have it.

Last edited:
Playability: The neck is fat and has a nice feel as it is a totally unfinished neck so you can feel the smoothness of the naked wood. The body makes playing really comfortable

the California models do indeed feature a finished neck, it sports a very thin satin overcoat, much thinner than the average coating on other such necks. for a totally unfinished neck feel, one has to try Mike Stern's Yamaha Pacifica to understand :cool:

PAC1511MS_main.jpg

Hi Sub. i have the california strat. It really does have an unfinished neck. Dont know lah maybe it was imitation.

Last edited:
Hi Sub. i have the california strat. It really does feature a unfinished neck. Dont know lah maybe it was imitation.

Hi Bruce. Thanks for all your comments so far. My California fat stratocaster really does have an unfinished neck. But i did not buy mine in Singapore. I got it in guangzhou. Those that are available at the various shops in pennisular shopping center are eqquppied with finished necks.

unfinished here would refer to the typical woody, granular texture like the average IKEA product. yes, the California model does feel very similar to that but it has an overcoat to prevent the grain from splintering off unlike Mike Stern's Yamaha Pacifica which is vitually the trunk of a tree in a giutar neck guise...

as mentioned previously, the California neck finish is excessively thin to such an extent that the wood feel is more evident than the overcoat itself.

Maybe i am wrong. But my california stratocaster neck really gave me a feel of touching naked wood especially the fretboard. Maybe it really has a thin layer of finish but i am not observant enough. But when i compare to those sold in the shops locally, mine really doesn't have the shine on the neck whereas those sold here have a certain amount of shine like what a finish neck should look like.

Last edited:
once upon a time, i went about telling many people that the Squier California models feature an unfinished neck in other forums until a luthier PMed me to give an insight.

there's no question that they do feel very naked to the touch, the finish employed is extremely basic & has virtually no overcoating effect; it seeps into the wood more than forming an outer covering. this is sufficient to prevent the wood grain from disintegrating into splinters upon repeated handling but not adequate to mask off the bare feel. upon repeated handling also, the finish would wear off thus manifesting more bare feel.

Woah, nice insight! I love the wood smell on the Squier California when u open the gigbag slighty. Very nice! Btw its a nice guitar to start of with even till intermediate standard. Versatile and the neck is very comfortable to hold on to. It would be best if you test the guitar out before purchasing it so you can find the neck that is done up the best. Which has very little buzzing! That's my basic requirement for the guitar, or any guitar.

i've got some reservations about squier californias. for a start, squier website has no info on them. secondly, depending on who you ask, the wood used for the bodies of california series are either basswood, agathis or alder. i know a certain shop selling them declares these guitars as using basswood, but reading online says agathis or alder. i do not think these are alder cos even the squier standard series are using agathis. and since that's the case, it's more likely agathis than basswood too.

the reservations pertaining to this guitar are, at best, founded. however, many people are too quick to demerit a lower order guitar such as this Squier rather than appraise attributes that work. there are also people who fine scrutinize entry level products as an entailment of association (especially to the more celebrated parent brand name).

despite an absence of documentation online or in the manufacturer's hard copies, the Squier California selection are legit products.

I dont like the all maple necks coz the fretboard & neck are two seperate pices and many times dont match in colour, texture or grain. Mall the CS squier strats & tele I boughtt were rosewood fretboard models which had a tad bit more sonic "weight".

However the neck is defintely finished in the basic seeler despite it's woody apprearnce...
Rubbing with 2000 grit polish paper will eventually give the maple neck a slight sheen.

2 cents

i've got some reservations about squier californias. for a start, squier website has no info on them.

That is a good point. I wonder why isn't this guitar mentioned on the Squier website.
But this particular model is made in china. Whereas other models you might have seen in swee lee are made in indonesia.

Last edited:
guys, i thought fat strat are supposed to have a humbucking pickup at the bridge position instead of a single-coil pickup. but i see all single coil pickups in the pic.

guys, i thought fat strat are supposed to have a humbucking pickup at the bridge position instead of a single-coil pickup. but i see all single coil pickups in the pic.

There is the humbucker version as well. The most commonly seen models are with single coils.

hi!!!!

nice review.

I just bought mine last Sunday. It's too hard to resist. i find it cheap and very appealing to me. Maple fretboard (is it not?), nice sun burst, pearloid pickguard (special series). All that i've ever wanted on an strat, period. (except for 21 frets but its ok, acceptable).

Anyone have any idea about how the serial number and (made in china) words should be ?

Mine's printed on a sticker and pasted on the guitar behind the neck instead of decal or engraved. I bought it from a reputable shop in Penisular. I dont think it is fake. But the stickers make it looks like one.

altogether there are 3 stickers behind the neck,
serial number,
country of make,
some chinese online music store sticker i think.

anyone have any information to share ?

Latest posts

Back