S.P.O.N.G.E the B.L.O.G - Insights to an LP Recording

Coxon

Hi Softees,

Honestly, its been a while since I have posted under soft.com due to the usual responsibilities/dilemmas of Singaporean musicians... the final year of my graduate studies, getting a job (yes, its been almost a year) and of course, rocking out with my band. That includes 2 great years with my band, S.P.O.N.G.E (including accidentally meeting Mrs Soft and James himself, Mr Soft). So after 2 years being together, the band is finally taking the next step to putting our songs to our debute LP, "Frankel Avenue".

Anyways, besides the obvious that we're posting here to get some eyeballs for our blog, another reason why we set up the blog (besides to remember this entire experience ourselves) is that we would like to share with musicians (particularly the newbies. the laojiaos which have millions of posts here probably know much more than we do!) how it is like to record an album in Singapore. I know, probably most people have watched their all time favourite bands, Incubus, Avenge Sevenfold, Coldplay, Metallica and whoever else, record their albums. Ever wonder how it is to do in "locally"..?

Amazingly, its not that much different.. except maybe you might not feel the "wow" factor of seeing your favourite stars in the pictures (instead you see us. local faces with unexpected "familiarity"). We won't be posting just incessant ramblings like most blogs. Instead, we will be talking about the technicalities (why use certain amps?) and of cos, the daily fun/strife of recording. Basically, the realities.

Just to start you off... what do you really need to begin recording an album? Firstly, a commitment of about $6000 dollars (depending on which producer). That's not really much when you consider your producer has to live on it for about 6 months (a.k.a $1000 per month - if he doesn't have other jobs). Honestly, when I was younger (now i'm working so yup. Perspectives change) $1000 a month felt like something I'll never have. Trust me, to a working adult $1000 a month is about how much you need to survive on your own (if you spend normally... thrifty wise.. that's another time and another place). Secondly, you need a commitment. About six months to a year. Expect to be delayed. And your band has to be committed. If you think not having an album is bad, imagine having a half recorded album which you spent $3000 on and will never complete. Lastly, you need your own songs, carefully thought through so you don't waste time in the studios.

So, how are we doing? And where are we doing it? I'll be posting just our introductory post to our blog (s.p.o.n.g.e) here just to cue everyone in.

==
What is S.P.O.N.G.E

Touted as one of the top local bands to "look out for in 2008" (Youth.SG :: Singapore - Eight local bands to watch out for!), S.P.O.N.G.E is no stranger to the Singapore music scene. The band has transversed the entire length (and width) of the sunny island, entertaining audiences throughout Singapore. Originally a three piece band, S.P.O.N.G.E has evolved to now comprise of 5 members (elaborated below!). Describing their music as "Alternative Pop-Rock" (a mouthful), the band creates magical dreamscapes, to entertain, challenge, provoke and touch through the the medium they love the most. :)

Who is S.P.O.N.G.E
Rahmat - Vocals, Syafiq - Guitars/Backing Vocals, Qader - Drums/Backing Vocals, Syai - Bass Guitar, Kenneth - Guitars.

S.P.O.N.G.E, the blog.
This blog serves to document the recording journey of the band's first full fledged album. Beginning from the frustrating search for a studio and producer, to the final press of invisibile and intangible sounds onto a piece of plastic, which we hope, will be wrapped in nice packaging and sold at "reasonable" prices in "good music shops" everywhere (probably to be digitised and sent out to many more people so that less people would need to buy pieces of plastic - cheers for the environmentalists!). Of course, lots of advertising and selling of the album will be done here.

The Album
Frankel Avenue. Record(ing) at the Void, under producer, Nick Chan. To be released in the 3rd Quarter of 2008.
==

Anyway, we'll be updating it as regularly as we can. The blog stops at recording session 10, but we're going towards our 13th session soon (meaning look forward to updates on session 11 and 12 soon). Look forward to weekly posts. If you like to find out about other recording matters, why not leave us a comment and we'll respond through the blog. If we prove helpful say it. If its a sellout, well... you can just f*ck us on the blog. Anyway, hope it proves helpful to you guys (we prefer not to get f*cked for nothing)!

Cheers,
Kenneth
S.P.O.N.G.E
s.p.o.n.g.e - THE BLOG ADDRESS!
MySpace.com - S.P.O.N.G.E - Singapore, All - Rock / Alternative / Pop - www.myspace.com/spongemusic

Back