Review: Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500R

alec_fishy88

My Review link:
http://wilsonisgreat.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/review-epiphone-masterbilt-dr-500r-acoustic-guitar/

Place of Purchase: Brendon (http://www.bgwguitars.com/index.htm)

Cost of Purchase: $950 (Guitar) + $140 (SKB Hardcase, not from Brendon) = SGD$1190

After a long wait, the Epiphone Masterbilt Series is finally available in Singapore! Thanks to Brendon from BGW Guitars!
The Masterbilt Series are Full-Solid Acoustic Guitars from Epiphone’s acoustic producing line. Surprisingly, they cost within the SGD$1000 budget that young aspiring guitarists have locally.
Where else can you get a full solid acoustic at this pricing? I tried asking several shops/ dealers to quote me the price of a Masterbilt acoustic guitar. The prices they quoted to me were way too high! Something to the 1.4k to 2k range.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Premium solid Sitka spruce top
Premium solid rosewood back and sides
Bound rosewood fretboard
Multiple top binding
Bound back and headstock
Stick pin inlay
Gold tuners

I went to collect my Masterbilt from Brendon at Boon Keng on the day that they arrived via shipping.

Brendon was really nice to have guided me over step by step despite being busy.
When I stepped into his place, I saw all the Epiphone guitar boxes lined up in a single row. The feeling of excitement sprung into action. Of course, Brendon didnt wanted to keep me waiting and began opening up a box with a Rosewood Model inside.

The first looks were killer! The guitar looks really elegant and well constructed. Finishing was decent. The neck was very straight and the satin finish was well applied. Except for some areas with some rough patches which could very easily be touched up so no worries.
I was in a hurry so didnt test the guitar at Brendon’s place as it was raining. Brought it home straight away instead. Thats how much trust I have in Epiphone & Brendon. Also, I headed back to Brendon’s place the next day to try out a few Gibsons and Taylors.

Once at home, I immediately sprung into action! Unveiled my guitar from the softcase which Brendon had very nicely included for me to transport the guitar back home. There was no hardcase included.
First strum! Purrrrfect! The Masterbilt was LOUD! Thats the characteristic of a dreadnought shaped acoustic guitar. The guitar sounded great! The solid rosewood body and sides gave it a great bass. The solid sitka spruce top gave the guitar really good mids and uppers. Notes are generally well defined.

The factory setup was a little high though. Overall, the sound was loud, rich and very balanced (people have compared this to a gibson. I say, comparable but still falls behind a Pure Gibson).

Sound wise aside (You gotta try it out yourself to be blown off by it), the looks of the guitar was enough to kill. I’m simply loving the vintage appointments on the guitar. A plus point for the Masterbilt Series.

The vintage styled open tuners & the vintage styled headstock with binding was simply sexxxy. The smooth final touches of a satin finish!

If looks are enough to kill, I would have been killed immediately when Brendon unveiled the guitar from the box.

Killer looks + All Solid Wood + Great Sound + Below SGD 1k pricing. What are you waiting for?

Ratings:
Service from Brendon: 10/10
Looks of Masterbilt: 9.5/10
Construction: 9/10
Sound: 9.5/10
Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5/10
Reliability: 10/10
Cost Efficiency: 10/10

What are you waiting for? Fellow readers, my recommendation to this piece of musical art!

My Review link:
http://wilsonisgreat.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/review-epiphone-masterbilt-dr-500r-acoustic-guitar/

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! I can add Epiphone Masterbuilts to my "Obtainable want list". The fact that Brendon brings them in helps even more because I've dealt with him before and he's a great guy. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back