Refretting Guitars.

Jhexp

Hi people,

I have an old strat which I want to refret. I intend to refret the entire fretboard(maple). Does anyone have a recommendation who should I go to?
Another thing is the choice of frets, I know there is quite a number of choice (Jumbo, vintage etc). I play mostly blues can you guys give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Blues guitar playing involve a lot of long emotional bends..to aid bending you should get taller frets..jumbo should be good..

Guitar connection can do it for you. But they're quite busy so if you send your strat in it might take a couple weeks or so before the job is completed.

Fret size is really personal preference, just go with what feels best to you.

Just to recap for you what was said in an older thread about changing frets/neck:

mikemann
total refretting job will cost around $200-$250 as reasonable price, as it's will take the craftsman about one whole day in time at least to get it done.

Don't get some unknown or lobang deal like labour fee $6 per fret. You'll end up with a worst playing neck, and badly chipped fret wire area. A total job includes the final dressing and fretboard touchup to make it look and feel new.

A new neck can cost between $250-$400 on average by itself. If you includes the fitting out cost and things like tuners...etc. you can see how the cost will go. Again this cannot DIY unless you are experienced cause not so simple to process a NECK BLANK to a final neck with good proper heel fitting.

man_kidal
Best place to get Jumbo in my opinion is that shop at bras basah near swee lee there. The guy there(the young dude) said his shop some main dealer in jumbo necks.

hofner
guitar workshop...find for adrain.

You can try malcolm... the luthier who builds acoustic guitars. He's posted here before. you can ask him.

Another place would be Sinamex guitar hospital.

Since it's a maple board it may cost more as it might require refinishing after it is refretted. Typically the hardcoat is sprayed over the frets ,then the frets are dressed.

Thanks for the input guys.
Does anyone have experience with their guitar refretted and wants to share it?
Guitar connection quoted me $250 for refretting the whole neck. Anyone have experience with them?

Me. I had the entire neck of my strat refretted with jumbos. Maple too. He did quite a good job with it, plays like a dream now. And it certainly looks good with the fresh coat of finish on it, shiny and sweet. Oh and take note if you choose a fret size which is taller than your nut, then you're gonna have to have the nut changed and cut as well. That'll probably bring you up to about a possible $300 thereabouts? Check with them to be sure :)

Guitar refrets

Thanks rottenramone:)

I do refrets but my prices are way higher than anybody else in Singapore:) Quality work with prices to match:) Satisfaction guaranteed tho:)

Malcolm

Thanks for sharing people. I will certainly check out those mentioned in the post. Will update you guys when refretting is done.

Re: Guitar refrets

I brought my musicman petrucci to malcolm before, i'd trust him with my axe any time =). (discounts for free advertising? :twisted: )

Also, i didnt have a very good experience with Guitar Hospital. I'd take my money somewhere else...

pickg said:
Also, i didnt have a very good experience with Guitar Hospital. I'd take my money somewhere else...

Likewise. Btw, does anyone do stainless steel refrets? :smt003

Lifehouse said:
pickg said:

Likewise. Btw, does anyone do stainless steel refrets? :smt003

Yeah I've been to guitar hospital as well for setup but once i changed a new sets of strings(same brand and gauge), it went off again. Perhaps it's was due to the floating bridge. Does anyone experience this also? Anyway to prevent?

Back