Radio ga ga: Or what really goes on in a radio studio (part 1)

christoh

Forgot to post this in all the nervousness and excitement about being on radio yesterday.

Firstly though, a big shout out and thanks to those who tuned in and offered feedback and thanks too, to the lovely Lunchbreak host, Carol, for making things easy for me.

chris-and-carol-sml.JPG
Carol and me at our favourite lunch break spot. Actually it’s our only spot.

It’s actually quite an interesting experience being on radio, because what I know or remember about being on radio is my own personal experiences from over a decade ago, when I was actually in a band and we were interviewed on radio. And yes, I’ve always harboured ambitions to be a DJ but never dared do it for a variety of reasons, including the fact that my parents always commented that I mumble too much.

And I’m not ashamed to say that my prep for that first broadcast was to watch episodes of Northern Exposure, Free Radio and movies like The Boat That Rocked. And of course, it’s nothing like that what I saw at all.

For one thing, you can’t lounge back and put your feet up on the console. And there are no stacks of vinyl LPs and singles lining the studio walls, even for decoration. Instead, Carol sits at a console that reminds me of the bridge of the starship Enterprise, with four screens showing the playlist, traffic and weather news and an editing suite and other information that looked like she was monitoring some satellite communication or something.love (You have to see it to believe it. I’ll try to post up some pictures if I can get clearance.)

Plus, when she takes phone calls, she has to screen and edit the calls there and then, with only, what, a five-minute gap to do that in. It’s all very complicated looking stuff that I probably would have difficulty comprehending because I can’t even talk on the phone and type on the computer at the same time.

But still, it was very interesting and enjoyable. And I guess it helps that Carol is really funny and kooky.

Who knows? Once I’m finished with the elocution classes that I’ve been taking for the past 20 years, I’ll be able to do pluck up the courage to ask to become a DJ.

Till then, don’t forget to tune in next Wednesdayloveto Class 95FM at 1pm for more merry melodic moments on Lunchbreak with Carol.

And me, lah….

More...

Back