Question on Recording

ttimothyy

Hi guys,

Sorry to disturb. Would like to make some enquiries.

I would like to do some recordings on my PC but instead of using a MIC to my amp, I want to do something like a line in.

Can you guys help me out by telling me what cables do I need and what software do I have to use?

I have Adobe Audition 1.5. Is this enough?

How do I connect my amp or effects pedal to go line in to my soundcard?

Thanks in advance guys!

Tim

what soundcard you are using rite now? some of new stuff are already built in preamp and instrument input..so you can record direct clean sound..

Im not sure about the Line Ins, but Adobe Audition 1.5 is more than enough, though version 2 is out in case you need it.

My band has recorded plenty of songs in audition and it offers great professional mixing tools and also the usual effects and yadayada

Hmmm, hey mixcubed, I am using a normal Creative SoundBlaster Live! I think. And I am using single analog pedals.

Hey Radius, do you go Line in or do you MIC up your amps, etc and record it in Audition?

is this internal (PCI) or external USB, you must look if the soundcard can accept analog input. you can plug your guitar direct without fx to get clean sound but the impedance level or to low..therefore you need a preamp to do this.,,this is another investment..

the easiest way is..sell your creative and get something like STEALTHPLUG from IKmultimedia..you can play direct to your computer using software bundle like amplitube lives etc and can record it using trackion that include in the program..this the coolest way to do bedroom recording without breaking your wallet and you got licence program to go with..

sell the card and get the stealthplug..you can record directly to your computer or you do jamming..this is the cheapest way and you got best software for recording built in..

soundblaster live is actually a "consumer" playback soundcard. like games,watching videos etc. although you can record using it, highly likely the noise recorded will be more, not as well as a soundcard built specially for recording i'm sure you get the picture.

as i usually recommend ppl who wanna record D.I. , to check out a USB soundcard/preamp/"guitaramp emulator" called line6 toneport. ux1 / ux2. which costs about $200 - $300 depending on model.

in your case, lets just say you're real broke and you wana make use of whatever you have currently. what I tried doing before is,

guitar > poopsteppin pedals > zoom 505 II > soundcard.

yes , zoom 505 II as the "amp" in this case because it's only about $50 2ndhand. and it can run on a couple of cheap AA batts. doubt you wanna blow a few hundred bucks on a line6 guitar amp di , or a sansamp gt2 (yes this can be recorded DI also)
i tried DI with a boss ds-2 before, sounds terrible. so far zoom 505's my vote for bang for buck purpose. not something i'd record with for real, but for guidetrack,home practise.

let me know if this helps

30cents worth

thanks a lot guys. i think i'll try out katong's option haha. if that is not sufficient i'll save up and go with mixedcube's idea. hey thanks guys appreciate it so much! cheerios!

Back