"Pop" in studio monitors when turning on computer

lppier

Hi,

I have a very scary "pop" sound when I switch on my computer. My monitors are hooked up to my mixer and my mixer is hooked up to my audiophile 2496 sound card. Scared that it might spoil my monitors.. any way to resolve it?

it is normal :)

but, it means that the signal was already running. Do it in this order:

computer > monitors

If ur only dedicated monitor power source is ur sound card, then no choice. It will switch on when ur computer starts. Yeah volume to 0 would be good.

shut up , don't listen to anything except your mind and follow order.
plug in guitar
guitar volume turned up
pedal turned on
pedal level turned up
amp turned on from standby
amp volume turned up
condenser mic plugged in
preamp/mixer turned on.
phantom power turned on.
sound card turned on.
computer turned on
monitor turned on
monitor speakers turned on
monitor speaker volume turned up
turn on your ears

Basic of switching power on in any recording studio.....

Turn on everything 1st except your amp/speakers....... when turning on speakers.... make 100% sure your amp/speakers is turn to 0....

if you can't do this, please do not attempt on switching the On/OFF button in any sound devices cause somebody might go deaf if you do it in a heavy powered stages or people who is near the speakers......

;)

this is what i've taught in doing sound.

power up the equipments in this order: always on ALL the input instruments and equipments that going into the mixer first, next turn on the mixer, then the amplifier, lastly the speakers or monitors.

to power down, simpily do the reverse. this will ensure no pop sound and long life for your equipment.

It's a power surge to the output of your com soundcard. It happens when you turn the com. really common even in any analog/digital circuits.

you can always power on your amp/speakers together because the amplifier nowadays has a switch on delay to prevent the loud pop sound. So that means on your mixer first then on your amplifier. When you turn off, you can power off together and the power of your amplifer will have the same delay too for the pop sound. If not off your mixer first then your Mixer. For your computer, On it first and off it first before everything. :)

you can always power on your amp/speakers together because the amplifier nowadays has a switch on delay to prevent the loud pop sound. So that means on your mixer first then on your amplifier. When you turn off, you can power off together and the power of your amplifer will have the same delay too for the pop sound. If not off your mixer first then your Mixer. For your computer, On it first and off it first before everything. :) Hope it helps.

The pop you here is probably from your 'computer monitor'. The sudden surge in electricity through the circuits as you turn it on fluctuates the em field in the surroundings and your 'monitor speaker' picks it up. You can get the same effect by turning on an unshielded flourescent lamp.

Back