Paramore - RIOT!

theliverevolution

To finally silence (or at least on SOFT) the never-ending-invalid-reason debate about whether Paramore sucks or rocks, I finally decided to dig through my music archive and re-listen to the CD. I haven't listened to it much ever since Paramore became too mainstream on the radio, but some stuff haven't changed

There's no denying that Paramore became a band that people should looked at after they released All We Know Is Falling in 2005. Hayley Williams had a powerful voice that somehow managed to turn heads, and this came from a then 16 year old girl. All We Know Is Falling may not have been THE album that would sell, but it was successful in its own way.

Okay, enough small talk. Back to reviewing RIOT!

RIOT!, as the name suggests, is really a riot. I had a hard time understanding the style that Paramore was trying to fruitlessly drag into. Were they alternate, pop, punk, etc. Ultimately its like they couldn't decide which genre to stick to and mash everything together, somehow producing RIOT!, which is a riot of genres that somehow has become successful on mainstream radio.

Something I can't understand.

The CD begins with somewhat punkish-sounding songs like For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic (which further irks me as the title is quite a mouthful) and That's What You Get, and Misery Business. Wait, Crushcrushcrush also would be one. Some fine songs that stick to the Alternative genre is Hallelujah, and maybe Let The Flames Begin, and perhaps Miracle will also be good. Those were fresh, didn't feel like it was trying to burst out of the CD and relatively enjoyable to listen once you get past all the other songs that come in between. Then there's the pop-pish movement with songs like When It Rains, Fences (oh arguably the worst track in the whole CD) and We Are Broken, finally ending off with Born For This, another punkish-sounding song.

Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with how the songs sound like. The "Punkish" part of RIOT! can really stir up a riot, with its songs bursting out and attempting to become really hit songs, which works pretty well for all save for Born For This, which is a crying shame cause that is one of my favourite tracks that I'll listen to and dist Misery Business any day.

Which, then, lies the problem.

Paramore is probably much better of as a Punk band than that of an Alternate band. Look at all their hit singles. Crushcrushcrush (another song whose title I dislike cause its YET again another freaking mouthful! Why can't bands stick to simple titles?), Misery Business, That's What You Get were all hit singles and all of them had punk influences in them. The titles of the album and songs caused me to mistake them as a punk band until I searched Wikipedia to find that they were an Alternate Band. Wait, some twat just changed the Wiki to state they're pop-punk. Fine, that's a much more accurate assessment of them.

But the whole CD feels like a mess. The arrangement of the songs feels extremely awkward, as one moment it can be one style and it jumps into another style that will completely catch you off guard and thus causing you to either love it or hate it within seconds. The ever shifting change of genres will also be one factor that causes you to either love it or hate it.
Or maybe if its not the songs that will make you love it, maybe the singer will. I've seen and heard plenty of people all loving Paramore mainly because they think Hayley Williams is hot. Fine, people are entitled to their own opinions, but loving the band because of the singer is one thing that I can never understand. Either the guys have their hormones working overtime or their completely deaf and use their eyes to listen to the music, which probably mean why they love it so much as much as I hate it. Replace Hayley with someone like, I don't know, let's say Michael Jackson and people will completely turned off by it.

RIOT! is an album that will really make you juggle whether you should really spend $20 on it. On one hand if you love it you can pick it up and love it but if not you're probably better off downloading the album.

All right all right, I admit. RIOT! is fun to listen to an album.
The ever changing-genre-style of music writing sounds fresh all the time. I didn't get bored of the CD the first time I listened to it, listening it from beginning till the end, which is quite a miracle that I didn't skip any tracks either. If you're listening to it for the first time you'll never be able to anticipate what you're going to listen to next. It's fun to listen to and one that will make younger teenagers jump around the room and pretend they can air guitar or sing, but perhaps the older listeners whi grow up on songs like Guns N' Roses or perhaps A7X and Led Zepplin will find that Paramore really lacks the rock factor.
Well, since Paramore's target audience is young teenyboppers I don't see what's the problem

All in all, while I wouldn't exactly reconmend picking up RIOT! as a CD that you have to put into your collection it is a good consideration if you've got nothing else to buy and you really want to buy a CD. Of course, if you already got it and thinking of getting rid of it I'll suggest you mount it like a cymbal and smash it.

It makes a really nice sound

i'm sorry but your review is quite contradictory, one minute you support one minute you don't.. haha no offense bro but i really cannot understand your review.

Not really. It's fairly easy to read it. The first part is extremely anal about the things about RIOT! that I don't like, and my complaints about Paramore as a whole band. The second part is the counter-point, where I admit that despite all the rubbish and horrendous things about RIOT!, it still is a pretty slick album that is probably worth listening to and picking up, although not immediately or on your high priority

Last edited:
Erm I kinda like that they have a more emotional side to their album from slow paced songs like We are broken.

I think their album is good, overall, just that it gathers hate from non-mainstream music supporters

The final riot!

hey there, RIOT! is a great album but those who like paramore and stuff should really also pickup their DVD - the final riot. it is their live performance in chicago and it really showcases the talent of the whole band. real paramore fans will know how AWESOME (oh my goodness) their live performances are, really, really close to the quality of the cd if not better. yeah the cd/dvd (it comes with both) has songs from both All We Know Is Falling and Riot! so quick grab one :mrgreen:.

Paramore has grown musically . If you have noticed , their music has become more technical and they are much tighter live now as compared to last time when they were breaking through , ALSO HAYLEY WILLIAMS IS SOOOO HOT !

Paramore has grown musically . If you have noticed , their music has become more technical and they are much tighter live now as compared to last time when they were breaking through , ALSO HAYLEY WILLIAMS IS SOOOO HOT !

to be true, its all thx to hayley ..
SHE IS A ONE ORANGE-HAIRED HOT CHICK!

to be true, its all thx to hayley ..
SHE IS A ONE ORANGE-HAIRED HOT CHICK!

agreed..plus one to that..haha!!

jokes aside..frm my point of view, i think they r quite a good band whether they play punk or alternative..their music have the sound that makes ppl want to hear over n over again..n i really like hayley's voice..one that can be matched to the likes of gwen stefani..:)

have you ever realised how hayley never gets out of breath no matter how much she's jumping around, dancing, headbanging and what not (all that while she performs lung-busting vocals). amazing.

Back