Noise during Recordings

Hi all.

Question is for sound techies and audio peeps out there.

Let's say you power your pedal board for recording, and sometimes there are "noises", instead of getting a power supply unit to eliminate the noise (though sometimes not fully), what do you usually do to eliminate or reduce noise even further?

I've sat in one recording session before, and the guitarist had sansamp gt-2 on his rig as main distortion. The soundman or producer w/e told him to use their own boss rig or line6 modeler so that there isn't that much of a noise.

Problem is sometimes guitarist tend to get a bit 'anal' about tone so they die-die want say for this case, GT-2 as their sound. What do you guys do or suggest for this case? Noisegate?

Thanks in advance guys!

Rgds,

Noise gate would be a good point to start at, yes. You could also try a bit of EQ to remove noise. However with this, you have to be extra careful as you do not want to change the "tone" of the instrument, but just remove the noise. As a last resort, you could try using a noise removal plug-in, post the recording... my favorite one on ProTools is the NONOISE by Sonic Solutions.

But ofcourse, all of these solutions pale in comparison with the only solution that works 100%. Record a clean source to begin with... :)

Actually it depends on the project, whether you engage the producer to produce your album/song/project or if you are engaged by him. If you are sessioning for that project, you really should do as he says cause if he is not satisfied, you won't be getting any jobs from him again. Believe me, I screw a lot of sessionists if they don't deliver. If I'm the producer, tone is whatever I say it is. I'm sorry I'm a tyrant in such projects.

If on the other hand, you engage him as a producer, then he'll best try to capture your sound. If there is something wrong with your sound (bear in mind I say sound, not tone) which usually means noise, he would advise you on the best course of action. Sometimes he knows the studio more than you do but in such instances he won't and shouldn't force you. At the most he'll not work with you in future. Unless he's a big shot producer, you might get away with being 'anal' about tone.

But analysing your specific situation, the noise in all three pieces of equipment is low enough to be used in recording. Could be single coil hum, no?

^ what jerseystar said !

it could be also cabling problems ! or poor electronics in either guitar or ur pedalboard

as a producer / sound engineer . i try my best to advise the client the best solution , but sometimes if their equipment is in poor health i'd rather them use my guitar/rig etc etc. and more often than not my clients are happier to use my stuff since it sounds better .

while there's a saying " the customer is always right " i believe that it's a take and give thing and that the client should always trust the sound engineer as much as they can...besides it's my ass on the line if the product sounds like shit !

newbie : noise buzz is a basic minor post production problem that to any experienced producer/audio engineer can overcome like what NJKB suggested.

If because of a small problem like that and producer starts bossing you around on what your sound should be, sounds more like an excuse rather than a reason that he knows your sound better than you do does it?

unless of course if you're malmsteen influenced and your producer is the producer of malmsteen then you better listen to anyone who knows your tone/influence better than you do. so end of the day it's your choice , do you want to be told, or do you want to tell? if you feel you're a "newbie" (literally) now, yes you can be told and you learn, then later on when you're an oldbie , you can keep this in mind, the band pays the audio engineer, the audience pays the band (in terms of cd sales) , and your audience/fans/friends should love you who you are and what your own sound really is. not what the "producer told you to have this sound.its his style so lanlan suck thumb." but of course reality check : limitation of budget also will kick in. basically i stand on Jerseystar's "On The Other Hand" side.

music to me is about freedom, a universal language, so what is music to you? You're your own worst enemy/best ally.

20cents worth

[=RolandLim

Agreed. another way is that before ur client comes over, ask him if he is using any of his own gears, if he is, ask him to check if its working properly before coming over to do any recordings, because i believe that he doesn't want his equipments to spoil the recording.

Back