my floor tom sounds bad

BadgerS88

By morning, I got a session and I gotta do something fast. My drum recording sounds great but some reason my floor tom sounds like shite. Please suggest. It sounds very flat and hasnt got enough of the DOOOOOM sound. I tried using EQ and sweep to search for it but still bad. Grr. I put some High pass filter to help.

No!!! I dont wanna trigger :lol:

Anyone gimme tips please. For floor tom. Actually for all toms can help too. Already did strip silence so dont need a gate. Cheers.

waves rbass or maxxbass for the doooom if available

for the attack and definition, spl transient designer, the equivalent plugin would be dominion, its a free VST.

check the strip silence and make sure its not cutting off the tom decay, its pretty notorious for doing this. manually fading and silencing sections is always best..

crap in, crap out though sometimes if its a shit drum or recorded badly there's only so much you can do.

check up the EQ thread that i posted just yesterday. it might help. as i had read , you have to find that particular frequency that your bass has the most character and strenght in, which is usually about 80-100hz.

are you using multiple mic's for your recording or just 2 overheads. it might be hard to deal if you have only 2 overheads.

http://soft.com.sg/web/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39463

heres the thread, do tell me if its works!
the EQ plug-in does matter too.
have you also tried compression?( i mean if you are doing a single track for the bass )

last resort ask your keyboardist :]!

Haha my last resort was actually this. Its sounded so bad so i had no choice. Cause it was badly tuned, but the other 2 toms were tuned well. I decided what the heck, so I took the mid tom, copy and pasted it to where the floor tom should be, then, I pitch shifted it by -5 semitones and voila! Seriously it sounds like an actual floor tom. Lol.

Thnx for suggestions anyways.

booo... haha j/k

triggering/re-amp/autotuning (melodyning to some people) are methods of "cheating" to some audio engineers with heavy morals. I was one of them.

but after I dip my feet into the water and tried "cheating" myself, you know what's worse than triggering? trigger and it still sounds like crap.

it's like passing you exam papers to copy but you still copy answers wrongly.

so sometimes the manual way of gating/compression, preserves the best "life" in mixes.

Back