Mix This : Zoom R16 + Wharfedale KMD-7 + Audio Technica AT2020 Layer Recording and Pr

blueprintstudios

http://tinyurl.com/3rpbhmh

What is this?
[highlight]Click here to go to the "Review : Zoom R16 + Wharfedale KMD-7" thread![/highlight]
[highlight]Click here to go to the "Review : Audio Technica AT2020" thread![/highlight]

Okay so now down to the best part, full layer recording! And so it goes like this :

1) Drums : 7 drum mics.
#1 = (Hi Z input) as D.I guitar guide.
#2,3,4 = Tom,Tom,Tom (KM-5)
#5,6 = Overhead Overhead (phantom power) (KM-3)
#7,8 = Snare , Kick. (KM5 / KM4)
2) Guitar Amp : (KM3 and KM5)
3) Bass Amp : (KM3 / KM4)
4) Vocals : (KM3 / AT2020)

and the reason for you being here? "Mix This" means I post up the tracks for you guys to experiment and observe the Wharfedale KMD-7,Zoom R16,Audio Technica AT2020 in action. [highlight][Link To Download][/highlight]

I have recorded extras for preamp comparison for those who'd like to hear for themselves on the differences in using different preamps/audio interfaces. As follows :
Vocals-AT2020 (Preamp-ZR16).mp3 : AT2020 > Zoom R16
Preamp-FMRRNP-AT2020.mp3 : AT2020 > FMR RNP > Zoom R16
Preamp-EAAF4-AT2020.mp3 : AT2020 > Echo AudioFire4 's preamps.
Preamp-EAAF4-FMRRNP-AT2020.mp3 : AT2020 > FMR RNP > Echo AudioFire4 Line Inputs.

eventually it's a categorisation of Necessity > Cost Efficiency > Luxury.

The tracks are in 320kbps mp3 format. Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth means to host the original .wav , but all you're gonna lose is inaudible highs from 16khz-20khz++ onwards and if you're looking at being particular about studio worldclass quality you're looking in the wrong place.

So go ahead and post your version of your mix, host it on mediafire.com/box.net etc. I'd like to thank the band for permit to commit their time to record and release as the review recording took literally from day till night. Please do not criticise much on the "performance" as I was rushing this recording and the purpose was to just simply demonstrate for SOFT.

Enjoy and have fun!

Credits : The Inimical Alternative - "Narcissist"

-Ron (www.blueprintstudios.org)

Last edited:
http://www.box.net/shared/fm0bxbstcj

done all 3 versions in 2 hours.

hmm oops. I adjusted the levels of the slap bass at the end for the whole bass track, and it seems super overpowering during the verse/bass. well you get the idea.

anyway I did not use the AT2020 tracks in this one to simulate if someone only uses zoom R16 + the wharfedale drum mics only.

Ivanock : hi there! welcome to SOFT, thank you for making an attempt there, I like the kick and the vocals's great , just wondering though what happened at "01:51 - 02:03" , there's some kinda automation eq error on your drums, but I actually preferred the mix in that bit! cos the snare sounds a little "middish" and last tip, 04:18 on you may wanna end the predelay/reverb tail at the end of the song either via fade out.

great job!

Back