Lil problem when recording guitar

mamemo

Im recording my guitar with an amp -> mic -> mixer method. Mic is an sm57. Problem right now is when i record(distortion guitar mainly), the low E string spikes a lot, especially when i do heavy chugging. When this happens, I'll have to manually compress the mix, which usually ends up having undesireable qualities which i do not want.

Is it normal for the low E string to spike during recording? If so, am i doing the compression wrong?

I believe whats happening here is the SM57's diaphragm is being overworked by the really low freqs. How loud are you cranking the amps at? It could be that the 57 is receiving its max threshold SPL from your amp, thus clipping the signal.

A few suggestions is to try aiming the mic at the amp in a more off-axis manner because I believe you have it on-axis at the moment. Moving it away from amp keeping some distance might also help. You could add a sock type pop filter over the mic. I feel a good practice is to have a slight comp on while recording to me it sounds different from post record compression especially with rack gear. Oh and try dropping an EQ on your guitar track that has a high pass filter on at about 50-80hz this will help tame the low end you're receiving.

And yes, it is not unknown for low freqs to 'spike' when using mics to record instruments or sounds. As for the compressor setting's it's most advisable to do a good read up about it.

Thanks of replying. My amp's a tube, so naturally, its cranked pretty loud. Havent tried off axis micing yet but at the moment im happy with the tone im getting with the mic placement, its just the spiking that bothers me.

Im thinking of getting a compression pedal or something too, but i dunno if thats gonna help if the problem is actually the mic's diaphragm being overworked. Im a total noob when it comes to mixing post record so i'll have to practice that more.

Any more suggestions?

I'd like to accent these pointers. Get a sock type pop filter (or more crudely a sock, literally), drop a high pass filter on the track at 50-80hz.

And I'd suggest getting the spiking under control before inducing the comp pedal it will most definitely make things worse, guitar pedal comps act rather differently as compared to general comps.

Last edited:
Back