learning skateboarding

THEBESTDAMNTHANG

hi, been interested in learning skating for awhile, but i c there are no formal lessons available for skateBOARDING.
usually google gives me SKATING , as in rollerskating.

i know nuts bout skating, so any tips to share?
i don have frens who skates, so i dunno where to start...
everytime the interest comes up, but cos dunno where to start,
then i forget about it,
but this time round im determine to actually go try it..

so how?:confused:

Where do you stay man? You want some lessons?

You should start by getting comfortable maneuvering the board. After that move on to the basic stuff: learn how to ollie, do manuals & nose manuals. You can try some 80's trick that uses your hand. If you are comfortable with all that and can do it confidently, move on to kickflips, heelflips, shove-it, varials.

Determination and patience is the key in skateboarding.

Last edited:
Lol I had an orgasm for skating when i watched some cool skate videos on Youtube and I went to get my old skateboard in my storeroom which I have left there for 3 years. It was dusty and all and I thought it was in good condition and turns out the wheel came out when I was trying to ollie.. Lol -.-

Tips from a no-experience-skate-poseur: Learn to balance on it first and have full control of it. Then learn to ollie. And then progress and progress... Watch video lessons on Youtube! Rofl lame.

uh i stay in around chong pang(yishun) area haha
woah but the prob is i dun even have a deck to start with and err thats bcos i dunno whats good for me?

woah u can give lessons ?

for starters, any deck is good. even those that you get from toys 'r' us, though i wouldn't recommend it since you'll be changing to a proper one once you get a hang of it.

just learn to maneuver first before even trying to ollie. you gotta really be able to move well with on your deck before you can start doing all the kick-flips and what-nots.

and if you're looking for a deck to start with, i suggest you go down to go sport (queenstown mrt) and get a complete deck.
don't bother customizing your own deck yet. unless of course you have spare cash.

Well, you won't know unless you try or start somewhere. :)

Go to a skateboard shop like Spitfire or Miz-29. Tell them that you want to learn skateboarding and you want to get a deck that's good to start out with. They will slowly and surely guide you to buy the deck, trucks, bearing, wheels, bolt & nut.

I can give you some tips to get you started but I stay in the East. :D

bbb: haha was plannign to get from cash converters cos they have some decent looking ones on display ..

mus:but those shops seems kinda professional and like quite ex leh, what im trying to say that what ifi quit halfway or smth(hope not), then i will be wasting the deck

eh btw u have msn lol?

Yup, they are professional people and helpful too. The first board I got cost about $200?. I don't quite remember, very long time ago. I kept changing grip tapes. Seldom other parts, lasted me until now.

Well, you can try the Buy/Sell section for 2nd hand decks so it won't be too hard on your pocket.

haha alright i just did
perhpas i will start to try maneuvering the board first or smth lol.
but was wondering how did you pple like make friends with other skaters blah blah
or already had them as friends to start out with?

Yup, I saw your post. :)

I had some friends from my secondary school to skate. My cousins and elder brother skate too. They stopped so I had too since it's boring to skate alone :(. No motivation or hype.

Well to make friends with other skaters is simple. Watch them skate. If they perform something impressive, clap for them. If they don't, motivate them. If you can do the same thing, try it. If you find any problems, ask them for tips and advice. Buy each other drinks. Have a chat. :D

haha icic, alright once i can do the basics i tink i will go some skatepark or what and try it lol :D

anyway thanks for ur advice !
oh and i added u as a friend so nxt time if need more advice can ask you :x

i'll suggest u get the deck from skate shops one rather then from toys r' us kind..
and i saw someone here @ buy and sell section selling his full set deck.. u may wanna check it out..

i remember a few yrs ago,my mom just bought me a full set deck and my bro lend it and skate it at changi (cos we got a pit there) then he fell and the deck went straight to the sea LOL..he went down and search for it but can't find it anywhere..
we didn't tell our mom,we'll be dead if we tell..
but my mom ask where's the skateboard then everyone like..ya ah? where ah?haha
but she's abit angry..
but i was damn angry with it..and even worse,the next day my bro got a new deck..WTH hahha

i'll suggest u get the deck from skate shops one rather then from toys r' us kind..
and i saw someone here @ buy and sell section selling his full set deck.. u may wanna check it out..

i remember a few yrs ago,my mom just bought me a full set deck and my bro lend it and skate it at changi (cos we got a pit there) then he fell and the deck went straight to the sea LOL..he went down and search for it but can't find it anywhere..
we didn't tell our mom,we'll be dead if we tell..
but my mom ask where's the skateboard then everyone like..ya ah? where ah?haha
but she's abit angry..
but i was damn angry with it..and even worse,the next day my bro got a new deck..WTH hahha

LOl that was funny!

yea i saw it added him on msn but haven accept lol?
just have to wait till 2mr and see..

hey just bought my deck from queenstown shopping centre ydae :)
cost a bombz~!
anyway i tink i can skate properly alr, haha anyone want to skate 2gether?
its kinda boring to skate alone.. plus i need tips on tricks , better way to skate properly etc

haha wnat skate togheter? anyway sch starting soon , my sch in tp so in tampines shld be near :DD
i oso can do stiatonary ollie only , not even good at it yet ..lol

Reminding me of my younger skating days... Watch more vids and learn alongside your friends, you get moral support and guidance simultaneously :D Just roll around and balance on your board around till you feel you've somewhat gained full control of the skateboard, then slowly jump on it and stuff. You'll eventually learn the ollie or the other basics like the kickflip.

Back