Ibanez Xiphos XPT700

subversion

large_xpt700rcm.jpg

Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
List: $1,500

The Xiphos is a welcome addition to the Ibanez fold as it is a clear departure from the traditional dual cutaway design. This guitar is one the X-series models featuring a non-conformist body outline but it isn’t as refreshing as you expected it to be- BC Rich & Jackson were there with that outlandish design way before Ibanez comes into the picture.

Construction/ fit/ finish/ features
The Xiphos is an Indonesian strain, along with selected other models, it screams compromise inherently. Nevertheless, those of us in doubt of the Xiphos’ solid construction & no nonsense assembly; be informed that these concerns are reserved for snobs. This is the third pleasant encounter this reviewer had with Indonesian Ibanez models, the others being the MTM2 & RGR320. Despite being mahogany in majority, together with the finished maple through neck, the guitar is rather light-weight in whole. This is great consideration, keeping in mind that the body per se proves to be a little tricky to handle. The guitar’s paint-stained nature, from headstock to the bass-side body protrusion, displays superb finishing.

The climax feature here is definitely the body’s Red Chameleon finish. It is a quasi-glitter stain which changes hue depending on the player’s view-point angle. The red base would morph into lime-green very easily; eye-catching indeed.

Rating 95%

Tone/ playability
The outrageous X-shaped body aside, it’s another floating bridge (Edge III), dual humbucking Ibanez guitar in the fold. The Wizard II neck offers maximum playability but the neck’s overall profile is made tubby by the rather thick finish. While the reverse headstock needs a little orientation to get used to, the tuners here, together with the floating bridge are 100% effective. Tuning stability is no issue with the reputable Edge III at the helm but the mechanism’s stiffness is somewhat pronounced in this audition model. There outstanding detail he is definitely the upper fret access; maximum reach is really being too polite.

The overall tone on offer is aimed at the gain-hungry & drive-depraved. On board is a pair of DiMarzio D Activator pickups which are a menace. The bridge would do bass thumping & all scooped voicings with ease. The neck has more than sufficient brightness to guarantee single note definition while not loosing cream at upper drive settings. However, the let-down tone here is when both humbuckers are activated simultaneously; the tone suffers from a loss in clarity. Nevertheless, these sound very pleasant with the guitar volume backed off but who would, in their right minds, invest in this guitar for blues-crunch? Unlike other models featuring Ibanez’s own inphouse pickups, the Xiphos sounds very appealing by default; thanks to DiMarzio in part.

The audition guitar has a factory set action which would irk shredders but it’s nothing a little set-up wouldn’t cure. A thing to note with the body design featuring a pronounced protrusion on the elbow side; it impedes the picking arm activities. The reviewer was often shocked into submission (& had to stop playing momentarily) when his funny bone knocked against the protrusion’s edges. He also has to reach farther for the pickup toggle lever…

Tone test equipment:
• Amps: Peavey Triple XXX (2X12) combo/ Randall RG75/ Laney LC15R/ Ibanez TBX25R/ Roland MicoCUBE 30X

Rating: 80%

Conclusion
It’s a dichotomised reception; a good half of us would welcome a very good playing, radical Ibanez design while the traditionalist half would loathe the excessive protrusions (especially so when it’s not quite original). The undisputable consideration here is that it’s a very good sounding guitar for the money; it comes with a hard case too. Despite the accolades, there is a certain repulsion when it comes to an Indonesian make, especially so when Ibanez's lower end offerings originate from this country. The exclusion of this guitar on this ground is sheer casualty.

Overall rating: 88%

• Hard case included
• Overall mass
• Upper fret access

Dislikes:
• Rather stiff bridge/ knobs
• Pickup switch position
• In-the-way body extension

Worthy competitors:
• Jackson Warrior WRXT
• BC Rich Ironbird NJIG
• Dean MLXT

Finally Subversion made this review..

Compared with IC400.. which is better in terms of tone n look?

:D :D

'finally'? did i take that long...? hmm...

it's difficult to match a DiMarzio equipped Ibanez (XPT700) gainst one which sport in-house Ibanez units (Iceman), tone-wise.

Nah.. You didn't take long.. :D :D

Does it include free jack too?

Is the bag provided a hardcase or a softcase?

8) 8)

swee lee co. either the sims drive warehouse/ bras basah showroom. get back to us if you don't know the way 8)

hahaha bam! thats an awesome sig, it made me laugh like mad...lol.

hahaha..ahem. right. back on topic, i was watching this vid on youtube on the making of the xiphos, and apparently the pickups are passive.

which is kinda strange, IMO.

oh btw does SL carry the blue chameleon finish version? i've only seen the red-green one.

the pickups are DiMarzio's D Activator models, which are meant to recreate the kick of active units less the sterile voicing.

Its a really good guitar. Thanks to sub's help and reccomendation at Sweelee, I bought this beauty. SHIOK SEH!

thanks again sub, really really helpful advise.

same here man. i was like PA ITS THE SUB. ITS THE SUB! lol

too bad the xihpos has to be sent for repair 2 days after buying it. the jack was semi-faulty though.

hey sub, could you elaborate on the clean tones of the d-activators?

I'm considering getting the 7 string versions, I know they do metal well, but I really need good cleans too. what are you opinions?

I require more of a jazzy, pianoish thick sounding clean, do the d activators go there?

dude. i tried it out, if you're looking for cleans, don't even bother with this. the cleans didn't have that thick sound. very midrange pronounced..for jazzy , thick pianoish sounding cleans, the d-activators dont do it. not too sure about the 7 tring versions though.

the XPT features both D Activators in the bridge/ neck, naturally, they sound good together (unless you are not refering to the XPT).

the D Activators are bent on churning out good driven tones. the cleans are rather bland but that's not what the XPT is all about...

yeap not referring to the XPT, what would be a good match for something the RG7321, if I drop a d activator in the bridge?

Back