Ibanez: S7320

subversion

p42432b.jpg

Ibanez S7320
List: $1,350

Ibanez is perhaps the chief proponent in 7-string (7s) offerings. There have been 7s in the manufacturer’s catalogues since a certain Mr. Vai joined its ranks. The 7s post-Vai boom had Munky & Head (Korn) to thank but subsequently, when the hype died down, other manufacturers chose to eliminate their 7s entirely- not Ibanez. Ibanez’s relentless 7s pursuit continues this year with the resurgence of the S7 (yes, it had been done before, nothing new…) thanks to a strong user feedback & the manufacturer’s fresh approach to real demand.

Build
The S7320 is a Korean addition & the usual gripe about how far-eastern manufacturing is in a dire need to revise its craftsmanship follows, but that is a thing of the past. What you get from this 7s is a solid construction & assembly befitting the guitar’s mid-price nature. In this price bracket, one usually has to peel one’s eyes rather excessively to ascertain certain production flaws because the more prominent blemishes are relegated to the entry-level units. The S7320 my friends, is flawless (at least this test model) despite being excessively ordinary (no body binding or other visual attraction here).

Rating: 95%

Features
The primary highlight here is obviously the additional low B-string. Nevertheless, like all S-models in today’s catalogue, the guitar is equipped with the exquisite ZR vibrato bridge. In a nutshell, this floating bridge manifestation has 2 potent appointments in making it a revered floater:

1. Ball bearing pivot unit- smoother manipulations as opposed to the Edge’s knife-edge mechanism

2. In-built tremsetter- the saviour of string-breakage/ tension changes; keeps your guitar bridge in the default position for hassle-free down tuning or during crucial moments of an embarrassing string breakage.

Despite the plus factor, keep in mind that this ZR contraption adds weight to the guitar but the overall heftiness doesn’t come close to the average Les Paul behemoth.

If you are new to the S-models, the guitar body was conceived to be dual arched (top/ rear) & the general outline is also rounded unlike its more outgoing sibling, the RG. The guitar is equipped with a 5-way pickup switching option so there are some convincing single coil voicings on-board despite a twin humbucker feature. It is also interesting to note that the S7 is the only model offering a direct-mount pickup design; not even the S-Prestige units feature this less obtrusive installation. Everything you need for a rocking good time.

Rating: 90%

Playability
This reviewer is applauding the manufacturer for their capacity to keep the body dimensions as that of the 6-string make, so any individual’s initial embrace of this guitar would not be greeted by an augmented physique which is a poor excuse to accommodate the expanded neck dimensions.

The neck per se, is a magnificent conception; despite its added width, there was no corresponding added depth. If there was any deliberation here, things are well masked because the overall dimensions still define the Wizard make as the slimmer neck offerings in the market today. Despite the manufacturer’s claim, the Wizard II to in this guitar feels rounder than its RG7321 counterpart. If you have been put off by the latter’s flatter feel, the S7320’s neck offers a slight difference in feel which you might like. The well inserted frets, flawless rosewood fretboard application & the smooth neck edges contribute to this guitar’s wonderful playing experience. You’d expect a slight imbalance due to the increased neck dimensions here but the guitar sits balanced on the reviewer’s lap throughout the audition.

Coming back to the direct mount pickups, the manufacturer should seriously consider this unobtrusive design in more S-models. It adds class to the curved body top & provides a delightful playing encounter for the picking hand; for us volatile strummers/ pickers, the pickups remain out of the way- less accidents, yes? This characteristic also allows for a lower action as there are no pickup mounting brackets to impede proceedings- major plus points here.

Rating: 90%

Tone
There is nothing more exuberant than playing a guitar with lots of maple & mahogany to generate pleasant tones & clarity. In fact, the S7320 need such accoutrements as it has an added low B string which threatens to mush out with poor EQ considerations. With the preferred wood types on board, why then does this guitar sound particularly sterile inherently? The capital culprits here are Ibanez’s in-house Axis humbuckers.

The AH7 neck & bridge units have excessive top end in the mix. While this gives considerable leverage for the guitar’s low notes, it makes the overall voicing sound one-dimensional & undynamic. The S7320 sounds more pleasant clean than driven. Unless you supplement your tone with a pickup-swap (priority, this one) or an EQ enhancement, you are going to sound like an annoying, mono transistor radio.

Tone check amplifiers in use:
• Randall RG75
• Peavey Triple XXX 1X12 combo
• Ibanez ValBee
• Ibanez Tone Blaster X 30R
• Roland Mico CUBE

Rating: 70%

Conclusion
The S7320 is a wonderful addition to the 7s family. It is hoped that the manufacturer has future propositions in manifesting a more captivating model as this one’s clearly a plain Jane (come on Ibanez- Prestige S7!!). Looks aside, the S7320 is a superb player; it isn’t surprising to see RG7 enthusiasts switching camps (there’s no harm owning both actually). It is unjustly let down by an unformidable tonal palette, the AH pickups should be the last consideration for this guitar but it seems, for some unfathomable reasons, the manufacturer insists on them for many other models (6-strings) as well. Nevertheless, this reviewer is confident that the S7320 will win players over on account of grand playability alone.

Overall rating: 80%

• Playability
• Price

Dislikes:
• Tone
• Available in black only
• No bag offered in the package

yes- my wife & her sis were @ Popular bookstore, i sneaked out to test the guitar he he he :twisted:

nah- i didn't sneak out... i did see this chap walking to & fro; was that you?

yup...the big size guy wid sleeveless white shirt...it happened when there was tis inconsiderate guy testin an epi es....play so loud...

it's not an Epi, he was trying the Ibanez Artcore, he's more of checking out the amp instead. you should've said hello or something man... then we can talk gear 8)

that's the thing with these people, they keep blasting away when they try stuff... you noticed i stopped playing & waited for him to stop instead... he he...

lol..cos i was not sure if it was u..haha..the guy was so..argh..me n my fren was lyk so inconsiderate,,if i was playin i would blasted louder to disturb him..lol..so childish..my fren ni tt u were veri pro..lol

it doesn't hurt to ask... he he anyway, will be back there soon to test drive (& most likely buy another Ibanez) during the March term break... 8)

sounds absurd but i'm getting another guitar for my spare pickups... :smt011

reviewer's rant:

which one would you get:

a $1,800 6-string...
231054.jpg

or a $1,350 7-string...?
457991.jpg

oh man it's out. muahaha

should have went down to see it in action.

Sounds great the review, gonna try it someday. I don't know if it's the right kind of question to ask, but how would you compare the tone of this to the RG7321?

the RG7321 is a basswood make, it has a less pronounced midrange response, but the overall voicing has a healthy definition to it. i wouldn't say both guitars have a marked tone to differentiate itself from the other because both the Infinity & Axis are 'incorrect' pickups for the RG & S respectively. both sound too midrange-inclined to begin with. many people would dismiss these guitars for the default tone without paying homage to the impressive craftsmanship (particularly the S7).

if you wish to get pleasant default tones out of both, it has to be a spectacular amp at work. otherwise, a pickup swap is arguably mandatory.

elsewhere, the S7320 debut is getting a hype response but those who are converts after playing the S7, is quite hypocritical because there have been good playing S-series 6-strings all along; you might just like what a 7-string mahogany body has to offer (tone-wise)...

woot I tried it today at sweelee and what a nice guitar. Though I didn't really get to test out the sound of it today cuz of the crowd.

btw, is the string spacing bigger than that of the RG7321? It looks different but I'm not sure if I felt it. I have no idea what the facts are but the S7 neck just looked so much bigger than the RG7, maybe it's the paler fretboard.

And thanks to mr subversion for showing me around today, Sweelee kicked my ass the moment he left and I was alone. sucksucksuck

the S7320 is a worthy 7-string- no doubt about that, but it's nothing special with the current specs/ default pickups. they hype is this: there's finally a revival of an S-7string after its marked recession from the catalogues.

if you've tried the S7320, the difference in neck feel (with reference to the RG7) would be quite substantial to make you deem it 'better' than the RG version.

yeap the neck feels much nicer. Gave the RG7321 another try today and found the neck unable to support my thumb. So I ended up playing in a "float" style, not very good for speed.

p.s: the RG2228 is on the way acc to the dood I bought the guitar from today, wouldn't the flat neck on the RG suck even more on an 8 string?

if you have any issues with a neck profile, it's personal adaptability more than anything else. i used to have issues with the Gibson neck but that's a thing of the past...

Back