Ibanez: RGA321F

subversion

RGA321FSPB.jpg

Ibanez RGA321F
List: $3,550

The Ibanez RG has been the manufacturer’s preferred model since its inception in 1987. Owing to its super-strat image, it was a natural alternative for players who wish for a more extroverted Strat that could fulfill their eccentric playing. The commercial stability of this model is also the reason why it was subject to very little revision along the way, until the emergence of the RGA in question; the ‘A’ here representing ‘arched top’.

Build/ features
Why should we get too excited over another RG model with an arguably reserved make-over? This isn’t another mid-priced RG in the catalogue, a deserving Prestige member with all the exquisite features for the asking price. The audition model presented itself to be a flawless unit, a virtuous example of what a good Japanese craftsmanship can be. The exposed edge/ natural binding reveal a sumptuous layer of maple in use (16mm), not a pathetic laminate. This isn’t visual appeal per se; the depth of this layer would suggest a tonal intention & seeing a pair of Dimarzio IBZ pickups as default, this guitar was conceived to sing.

A commendable inclusion here is the captivating flame maple top whose grade, coupled with the excellent translucent finish, and would shame many Gibson Les Pauls listing for virtually twice the 321’s list price.

The other reserved appointment here would be the 321’s Gibraltar Plus (GP) fixed bridge. Nevertheless, in all due considerations, it is the deserving hardware in this guitar. Do keep in mind that the Les Paul, the proverbial arched top guitar we adore, is also whammy devoid. Understandably, this guitar is meant for the virtuosi who would like to leave live hardware manipulations out of their musical vocabulary & leave the fingers to do the magic. The GP is actually a derivative of the fantastic, smooth-surfaced, Gibraltar III unit equipped in majority of the SZ models. The GP was developed especially for the RGA selections so we know this feature isn’t a compromised contraption or left-over units in the manufacturer’s production plant.

Playability/ tone
Ideally, the 321’s stunning looks is paired with its ornate playability. Despite citing a regular Prestige Wizard neck profile, the manufacturer’s subliminal inclusion here are a slightly rounder rear & an added depth. We note the less profound cutaways of the RGA models in general, which is an allowance for the better manifestation of that addictive arch top. Shred fanatics are assured equal access to upper fret registers as with other RG offerings.

Before you dismiss the Dimarzio IBZ humbuckers as eastern ‘made by’ products, be informed that they are genuine, American Dimarzios. These are medium output, ceramic magnet pickups with loads of character plugged into an appropriate amp (this audition model was played through Peavey’s JSX head- outstanding output!). From metal to smooth jazz, the 321 is obliging.

Conclusion
The RGA321F isn’t entirely ‘new’ in the RG department but the revised features would appease many critics who had substituted their fanatical RGs with other appealing American guitars. Die-hard RG fans would deem the Dimarzio IBZ pickups as unworthy inclusions in this outstanding instrument; many claimed these to be too sterile sounding & removed from a typical Dimarzio character. Chances are, these pickups are not voiced according to an average Dimarzio fan’s requirements but they are not deficient by any means. If you aren’t whammy indulgent & possess that crucial funding for a truly contemporary but exclusive Ibanez, the RGA321F is highly recommended.

Rating: 9/10

• Tone
• Playability

Dislikes
• Hardware tarnishes easily
• Price

hi sub, have you also tried the rga121 counterpart? how does it fair compare to the rga321? would love to see a review on that too :wink:

i own the RGA121 8)

i'm not doing a 121 review per se but rather a '321 vs 121'... soon. i tried both, bought the 121. but let not my personal preference demerit this exceptional guitar.

my 121 & McCarty are good friends...
prsrga.jpg

call swee lee and ask will be the most accurate and fastest way. but if im not wrong is 2.1k. correct me if im wrong :wink:

Back