I need serious help mates!!!!!!!!!

Davinea

Firstly, i don't know whether this is the right place for me to post this... But i just wanna try.

I got a huge problem with metronome... well i'm composing a metal song and i have experience recording a metal song with a normal 170bpm tempo... as for this song i recorded last time, the song arrangement is such that from the starting of the song till the end, the tempo is 170bpm!

but this new song i'm composing.. i figured the tempo is 170 cause it sounds right.. BUT SOME PARTS when it is supposed to sound fast, it sounds VERYYY slow and when it supposed to sound slow, its very fast.... and i'm gonna record this new song and send it to a label company in january... I heard that the Record label company expected demo to be in timed as in we gotta use the metronome..

so my question is... how do i solve this problem of mine.. as mentioned, the tempo for the song is 170bpm and it ssounds right.. but some riffs or licks that is to be played in certain parts sounds faster when its supposed to sound slow and vice versa.

theres some bands like Cradle of Filth. i assume they use metronome to record but do they follow particular tempo throughout the song or do they change this certain "verse" for an examply to 130bpm from 170bpm(which might be their normal tempo for this particular song). Because when i kinda use a metronome while hearing their song.. some parts are not in timed. they probably did change the tempo.. IS IT A MUST TO FOLLOW ONE PARTICULAR TEMPO FOR THE WHOLE SONG? because in a recording studio. its nearly impossible to change from one tempo to another tempo in split second...

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS! i HIGHLY APPRECIATE ANYONE WHO ENLIGHTEN ME! thanks alot!

well err.... i think in a record studio they record one part first den record another part and put them together maybe?

tempo?

maybe they've change it, or maybe they just play faster.

a person might be playing at a tempo of 120BMP.
but it all depends on the Note Duration that your playing.

here is a breakdown of note signatures:
Whole Note
Half Note
Quarter Note
Eight Note
Sixteenth Note
Thirty-second Note
Sixty-fourth Note

which next comes about Bar
1 single Whole Note makes up one Bar count
2 Half Notes makes up one Bar count
4 Quater Notes makes up one Bar count
8 Eight Notes makes up one Bar count
and so on....

therefore its safe to say that 2 Half Notes is equivalent to 1 WholeNote,
2 QuarterNotes is equivalent to 1 HalfNote.
Therefore 4 QuarterNotes is equivalent to 1 Whole Note.

Since your talking about metronome.
You do know that 4 Clicks of the metronome makes up a Single Bar count right?
Each Click is timed to a Quarter Note.
If you were to pluck your guitar following each click of the metronome for 4 times,
You are playing 4 Quarter Notes which makes up a Single Bar count.

Another fact is that,
4 Half notes played at 120BPM is...
4 Quarter Notes played at 60BPM or
4 Whole Notes played at 240BPM

And there also something called the Dotted Note.
Its simply means that the Duration of the Note your playing is extended by Half of it's original value.

Example, The Duration of...
1 Half Dotted Note is equivalent to a 1 Half + 1 QuarterNotes Combination

1 Quarter Dotted Note is equivalent to a 1 Quater + 1 EightNotes Combination

And so on....
Thus it means that a Dotted Note's duration is longer than a Standard Note Duration.

Also here is a 'FUN FACT', not sure if its related but im just stating it incase your wondering.
a simple calculation since you talking about metronome,
(I'm using Quarter notes as an example since the Clicks on a Metronome is timed to a Quarter Note as I've explained ealier)

4 Quarter Notes Played at 130BMP is Equivalent to
4 Quarter Dotted Notes Played at 260BMP

And Finally there is the Tuplets.
(Honestly Im not really sure how to put it in simple words for me to explain to you and since also theres so many variations of Tuplets.. but on the subject of you stating that,)

"theres some bands like Cradle of Filth. i assume they use metronome to record but do they follow particular tempo throughout the song or do they change this certain "verse" for an examply to 130bpm from 170bpm(which might be their normal tempo for this particular song)."

Here is a simple calculation of consisting of 5-Tuplets.
(Im going to use a Picture for this)

Notations.jpg

Basically a Tuplet note has shorter duration than a Standard Note.
so basically theres more notes and you have to play faster than to pluck all 5 notes in a single bar count.
with that in mind, lets take what you said into consideration.

maybe the original tempo was 130BPM?
Maybe Cradle of Filth was using Tuplet Notes, which is why is sounded like he was playing at 170BPM since he has to play fast to make up for alot of notes in a single Bar Count.

So basically what Im trying to say is,
maybe they did change the tempo or
maybe they were just playing around with the Note Values.

In my own songs. I never did played with my tempo, i just played with the Note values.

But of course this is just my opinion.
you could try changing the tempo.
its you song, so its your stlye, your way.

hope my long essay doesnt bore anyone reading this.

incase anyone ask,
Yeah I do alot of Math/Off-beat/Odd-Timing original songs.
And NO, I dont like Mathematics, i failed my Math(U-Ungraded)
I just like music..

Last edited:
Thanks alot mate!

Hey mate, thanks alot. i think that might help me alot... although i know little about music theory.. i can ask my friends and refer to this =D thanks alot again aight!

aki san : killer post dude

davin : yeah, what some do is, record 2 different sessions, one is "A BPM" then the ending outro whatever is "B BPM" . then blend in together.

haha.

I have no idea why everyone keep refering me as Akisan.
ahahaha...
and thank you so much for the compliment.

Back