hi, total beginner here

emelianenko

hi guys, this is my first thread here. it has always been my dream to play a guitar since i was 14 ever since i've listened to x japan. i always imagine myself playing A7x and x japan songs infront of a crowd. now that im finally starting to be financially stabilized, i think its time to fulfill my childhood dream! i need help from seasoned guitar players if i should start from acoustic or electric. ive gotten advice from some of my friends that its better to start acoustic so you can learn how to strum, pluck etc. im wondering if it would be beneficial to learning the electric guitar as the songs i mostly wanna learn how to play is rock/metal.. im also not planning to attend any music lessons because my schedule does not permit. im just gonna self teach myself from the internet and books. thanks in advance for the advice!

i find it more beneficial to go straight for an electric, you can still learn to strum, pluck, etc with the benefit of an amplified output. meaning- it's loud enough so that you need not do it too hard & strain your fingers.

go to davis and check out their marshall amps. check out yamaha at ps for their orange amps and laney.

- - - Updated - - -

go to davis and check out their marshall amps. check out yamaha at ps for their orange amps and laney.

go for electric guitar, since that is where your interest is... and it would be far easier to motivate yourself with something you are interested in!

as for your budget, spend about $150 on a practice amp. try look for those with a number of built-in effects so you can have a wide range of sounds (distortions, delays, etc) without spending additional money, eg: vox mini3, line 6 micro spider, roland micro cube, etc

about $200 on the guitar, maybe check out the guitars in city music and sv guitars

the rest of the budget on maintenance! such as strings and misc stuff

Aria_STG_004_Ele_500e99c982f58.jpg

Aria's STG models are great for the money, you can get one (new) for $150...

For guitars, I would recommend rally and smash. They are quite good for beginners.

As for amps I would recommend at least a 20W amp. Get a good amp like marshall, roland etc so that when you get better you just need a better guitar and not a better amp. Remember a good amp can make a lousy guitar sound acceptable but a lousy amp will make even the best guitar sound like shit.

If you looking for something cheaper for amps, I suggest you get the Line 6 toneport. It connects to your computer like a usb interface and sound comes out of your computer speakers. It has alot of effects and you can record songs you play to see how you sound.

I was recommended Ibanez, A7x and X Japan are metal bands and the japan made Ibanez guitars are good for the buck too, I bought mine at Swee Lee at Bras Basah.

The Aria guitar subversion recommended ($150) plus a Marshall MG15FX (less than $200 2nd hand) and there you have it within your budget.

Back