"Help on Guitar Purchase"

_leVoir

Hey all,

Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for guitar for a intermediate player.

Background: I have been using a Yamaha Classical guitar for a couple of years and want to switch to a steel string acoustic guitar. This is my first purchase and is interested in learning "acoustic-finger style". Have been to Pennisular, Bras Basah, Parklane to browse and try out different guitar but can't really seem to decide.

My budget is relatively low of about $450-550 and was hoping to get a solid-top guitar.

Hope you guys will be able to help.

Just another question. I was also wondering if I should "invest" more money in purchasing a better guitar. If so which brands/ model would you recommend.

Many thanks~!!!

If you can't decide, keep your budget to around $300 - $400. That can get you a decent solid top guitar.

Most importantly, make sure the guitar is comfortable to play. Tone at this point is... secondary.

The thing about acoustics is, specs are not always as truly indicative of the instrument's potential as it is for electric guitars. You should try as many brands as possible before reviewing the specs. For your budget though, you should be able to find a nice solid-top guitar; Maestro is a good place to start with.

The thing about acoustics is, specs are not always as truly indicative of the instrument's potential as it is for electric guitars. You should try as many brands as possible before reviewing the specs. For your budget though, you should be able to find a nice solid-top guitar; Maestro is a good place to start with.

I've read through a couple of threads and it seem maestro is a good brand.
I've actually went to about 10 shops to try and indeed mastero seem nice. However, for a solid top ($500), it seem
That there quite a number of people say it is possible to get a pretty decent one with 3-400.

I pretty much like
maestro (500, solid top, forget the model)
Swing (480, solid top, pick-up, made in korea)
Epiphone (300+ , solid top)

Also into consideration was
Cort n Takamine (solid-top, bout 4-500?)

I pretty much like the sound and feel of those but can't seem to decide. First purchase afterall. Also a quite side note. Are guitars made-in-china not as desirable?

Thanks to all again~!! (=

If you can't decide, keep your budget to around $300 - $400. That can get you a decent solid top guitar.

Most importantly, make sure the guitar is comfortable to play. Tone at this point is... secondary.

^Agreed that it must be comfortable to play. Tone is secondary but must also be considered la.
Look for Cort Earths or Yamaha's FG-400. Those are probably good guitars to tide you up to intermediate levels.

I've read through a couple of threads and it seem maestro is a good brand.
I've actually went to about 10 shops to try and indeed mastero seem nice. However, for a solid top ($500), it seem
That there quite a number of people say it is possible to get a pretty decent one with 3-400.

I pretty much like
maestro (500, solid top, forget the model)
Swing (480, solid top, pick-up, made in korea)
Epiphone (300+ , solid top)

Also into consideration was
Cort n Takamine (solid-top, bout 4-500?)

I pretty much like the sound and feel of those but can't seem to decide. First purchase afterall. Also a quite side note. Are guitars made-in-china not as desirable?

Thanks to all again~!! (=

China's QC is more hit-or-miss, but good players can still be found among them if you look hard enough. You can also look at other brands like Tanger(Davis Guitar) and Custom Acoustic(City Music). These two offer full-solid guitars within your budget.

Last edited:
Hey people!
I've took into consideration on all your comments n advise and utimatelly purchased a Takemine G340SC(solid top & cut away). It was a pretty good buy for 350 (including a gig bag). Bought it from Davis guitar at pennisular. The sad thing is after going home, under bright lights, i found a scrtach that was pretty deep~ )=

But anyways appreciate all that helped me along~

cheers~!!!

Back