GIBSON Les Paul

Writer

Hi all.

I m thinking of getting a second Gibson Les Paul...preferably a standard.

I m just afraid of dealers messing around with the internal components. Anyone has any experience with this? whats the best way to be sure?

Finally, Anyone has a second LP that is up for sale? I m very interested!

Thanks.

well. advice is go luther at www.luthermusic.com n check out their classifieds. well doesnt matter whether de inside is messed up or not la. feel n sound is most impt n u should let ur ears be de judge. another great place would be guitar connection at de excelsior hotel. kelvin has nice gibsons sumtimes at great prices. a second hand standard should cost abt 2.2k. :D

Thanks.

I have seen the ads at luther but there are no stds for sale.

for 2.2k, i shd expect a relatively good condition one with the original
gibson hardcase rite?

i saw one for guitar77.. a 96 one, with afew tiny cracks/scratches around the linings plus the headstock had some chips.

Dennis was asking for 2K without hardcase.

wat u reckon?

well. i gotta say tt if u can find it at guitar77 at 2k ull be assured to find it even cheaper outside la. cos dennis' prices r killer man. tho wat he has is gd stuff.

Writer said:
I m thinking of getting a second Gibson Les Paul...preferably a standard.

I m just afraid of dealers messing around with the internal components.

Internal components being 'messed up' may just mean that some resoldering has been done and this is perfectly ok unless its a vintage piece. Most importantly always look for original parts. If the pickups have been replaced for e.g. the resale value diminishes. Hope this helps

Dennis' price are that killer?

I dun know man.....cause there arent that many other second hand shops that carry that range of guitars. Therefore its hard to compare. I would think
he is slightly more exp than the norm but he keeps them in good condition and handles his stuff well.

Where else is a good place to check out?

+1 for guitar77.

I've bought stuff from Dennis before, I can assure you that he's got good stuff, at great prices. good customer service too. Dennis is a pleasant man to deal with. I really can't say the same for Guitar Connection, I don't really trust buying a guitar from them, especially when it comes to more mod-able and replaceable guitars like Strats and Teles. Anyway, its just my 2 cents, take it with a light pinch of salt!

The modded guitar may not necessarily command a lower price. Some upgrades that are done may increase the value of the guitar (different case for vintage guitars). Upgrades like coil splits, better pickups, upgraded pots etc.

repulse87 said:
+1 for guitar77.

The modded guitar may not necessarily command a lower price. Some upgrades that are done may increase the value of the guitar (different case for vintage guitars). Upgrades like coil splits, better pickups, upgraded pots etc.

Coil splits, pot changes etc are minor and won't affect the value. Pickup changes are not always viewed as upgrades. Its always better to have the original parts. If the pickups are upgraded, ask for the orginals. It caters to more people when trying to resell the guitar. One may consider EMGs on an LP upgraded pickups but most LP users won't.

As with bugying any guitar, there are always ways to authenticate. If you're fearful, you should ask specific questions. Its perfectly ok to ask the proprietor to open up the guitar in front of you. Being unsure about the authenticity of the instrument doesn't mean the shop staff are cheats.

Back