Gibson: Les Paul BFG

subversion

460866.jpg

Gibson Les Paul BFG
Nett: $1,699

The idealist take on a ‘Les Paul’ is surely one of elegance as this guitar is indeed a landmark in terms of craftsmanship & sheer lure. It is rather perplexing why the Gibson chose to offer a Les Paul incarnation which is anything but elegant. The BFG is the epitome of a crude Les Paul- or so it seems.

Construction/ fit/ finish
If you are a Les Paul purist, every aspect of the BFG would prove heretical. The guitar in whole is completely devoid of a lacquer overcoat. Should one be familiar with the market’s satin finish, one would note/ feel the presence of a final coating to give the feeling of a finished article which is sorely absent here. In fact, the stained body has more furry patches to rival the unbuffered IKEA plank of wood.

The black hardware on offer is more palatable in terms of presentation but the uncovered truss rod cavity as well as the capless 3-way pickup selector simply makes this guitar look more demeaning than it should be. The kill switch (yes, you thought it was a pickup selector switch but that’s over at the volume/ tone knob grouping) in this particular model isn’t aligned well in the cavity; either that or the contraption itself is of the incorrect dimension for the instrument. Likewise, the neck P-90 here looks shrunk in its cavity but this is owing to its coverless nature more than it being the wrong size for the appointment. Still on pickup matters, the zebra finish Burstbucker 3 bridge unit has one of the sloppiest wire taping this reviewer has ever seen in any Gibson guitar. On the flipside, the electronic cavities are covered by a transparent set of Perspex but the soldering & general component placements are need enough to instill some pride in this department.

You’d think that this is an exercise to be excessively critical of the manufacturer’s famed model but the uncultured attributes of this guitar are indeed the very production philosophy adopted by the manufacturer; the BFG was intentionally conceived to be raw. The buyer either accepts this treatment or choose other models in the fine Les Paul catalogues.

Rating: 70%

Playability/ tone
The BFG has to be one of the lightest Les Paul to date & it has to be so because of its chambered body. It is no wonder that upon its initial unplugged strumming, the guitar resonates very well which is indeed a good preliminary indicator of what’s in store tone-wise. The neck sports Gibson’s 50s round profile but it was made rather repulsive by the sharp edges; the manufacturer might have taken things too far with the raw essence here if they indeed ignore the aspects of presentability just to add to the livery.

Upon plugging in, the BFG makes up in tone for what it lacks in craftsmanship. Both the Burstbucker 3 & P-90 makes sure the guitar is able to cover a wide tonal range; from blues to all-out metal, the BFG is ready to please. The chambered acoustics of this instrument contributes much to single note definition under high drive/ gain settings. Nevertheless, the former’s lack of wax potting means it has a limited hum-limiting capacity despite its nature to do so. This becomes rather pronounced if you are employing a cascading drive format.

Tone-test equipment:

• Amplifiers: Peavey Studio Pro 112/ Marshall JVM/ Epiphone Valve Jr
• Pedals: Ibanez TS7/ Guyatone OD2+

Rating: 88%

Final say
The BFG would no doubt polarize the Les Paul camp; the youngsters won’t hesitate to embrace it but the old-timers would stay miles away from one. The guitar’s physique is a love/ hate affair for sure. The players who believe in righteous tones wouldn’t mind putting up with the quirks because the BFG is one heck of an affordable Les Paul after all. Critics have already branded the BFG as a repackaged reject with enough make over to sell. If you despise the BFG because of its nature, it’s rather founded but the tone on offer is undeniably above-average. One thing’s for sure, the BFG isn’t the typical Les Paul Standard on a budget; it will never be one.

Final rating: 80%

Product availability: Swee Lee Music

• Superb pickups on board
• Hard case included

Dislikes:
• Kill switch
• Sharp fretboard edges
• Chambered body robs it of the typical Les Paul thump

Worthy competitor:
• Edwards ELP-92SD Satin finish

FYI:

*the BFG is currently on a limited run, 200 units of each finish

*the subsequent batch of BFGs are issued with truss rod cover

:cool:

Thank you for reviewing this model. Lookwise, this is one of my favorite les paul. I'm always crazy for worn off/raw look.

anyway,Mr. Sub, I'm having problems with my BFG tuning stability. should I change the tuning machines?or that's not the cause?I'm thinking to replace both pickups to dimarzios as well but the neck doesn't seems to have any screw or some sort. Is it replaceable?

thank you very much in advance

anyway,Mr. Sub, I'm having problems with my BFG tuning stability. should I change the tuning machines?or that's not the cause?I'm thinking to replace both pickups to dimarzios as well but the neck doesn't seems to have any screw or some sort. Is it replaceable?

hi bro :cool: thanks for reading my review...

i'm not a Gibson fan but the BFG is how i want my Les Paul to be hence its aquisition. you can read more about it over @ my blog.

i have not come across a Gibson without tuning issues hence my decision to swap my BFG Grovers with GOTOH's Magnum Lock units, take a look: The Guitar Addict!: Gibson: Les Paul BFG scrutiny (Part3)

these tuners help keep tuning in check but as with Les Pauls in general, checking the nut slots does contribute to less frustrations.

look closely at your BFG P-90 again; the black (the reason why they aren't obvious) pickup screws are located between the pickup's pole pieces. i'm replacing both my pickups, i've ordered Seymour Duncan's STK-P1 (stacked P-90 unit for a noiseless experience) & a covered Pearly Gates bridge pickup. i believe Gibson did assign the right pickups for this guitar but they aren't appealing to me.

Back