Gears for voice/instrument recording.

Poolo

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying to do some small recording at home. Just for rough, yet 'audible' recordings.

Thinking of getting a microphone -> mixer -> computer USB port or sound card.

Are mixers flexible enough to work with our computers? I don't have fantastic sound cards with a lot of pluggins, just a normal red microphone jack and maybe USB ports. Are there any cheap, and normal mixer (don't need a very expensive one) with just maybe 1-2 input jacks in the market I can consider?

Sorry I am a complete newbie when it comes to doing voice recording with computers.

PS: For guitars, apart from just plugging straight into microphone slot (with a convertor), can the mixer help to be a 'middleman' too? Thanks!

Regards,
Poolo

suggestion for vocal/guitar recording

hi, i have an m-audio fastrack which i've been using to record voice overs and occassionally some guitars and keyboards. works really great, very simple to use and more importantly -- inexpensive :) just plug into your usb port and you're set. just add mic, guitar and headphones if you don't have multimedia speakers.

the product link is: M-AUDIO - Fast Track USB - Record Guitar and Vocals on Your Computer—Complete with Effects

i believe sinamex in parklane is the dealer here.

have fun!

software

forgot to mention that you can use free software like audacity to record and mix, completely within your computer! if you want something fancier there are a lot of inexpensive (relative to what they can do at $100-150) software available in stores here -- m-audio's own session, sony's acid music studio etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the hasty reply.

Yes I've been using audacity up till now, isn't bad at all.

This M-Audio thing looks pretty fine. I'll check it out at sinamex. Saw the price at sinamex website, thought it was ok. Could still source for cheaper ones though, or is that considered really cheap? Sorry abt that, just looking for a really beginner one to experiment or record decent stuffs.

Thanks again bro. Great help, cheers!

Regards,
Poolo

Hi,

Anyone using this similar gadget M-Audio Fast Track USB as well?

Apparently I tried using Audacity with it, but the volume kept hanging at 0.1 (Microphone balance in Audacity)

The volume can't be adjusted hence, my guitar sound turn out to be really soft. Anyone can help on this?

Regards,
Poolo

M-Audio Fastrack and Audacity

Hi,

If I understand your problem currently -- you plugged your guitar directly into the rear INST input and the recorded signal is weak? Does Audacity respond to the changes on the front input knob?

Don't have Audacity on my computer now but you you're saying that you find no control on the level of the signal coming in on the software right? If you have an amp, have you tried recording the signal out of the amp?

Must admit I have not had that problem, though most times I have recorded on Audacity with Fastrack was using the front MIC input with no problems -- for both vocals and mic'd acoustic guitar.

The last quick and dirty recording I did with a direct INST input was with Acid Music Studio and I got pretty healthy signals from the plugged in electric guitar and bass. I believe they have a demo in their website (Sony Creative Software - Home for Vegas, Sound Forge and ACID) so you can try that as well.

I bought my Fastrack quite a long time back and they weren't offering the good deal on Session software. Does Sinamex offer deals on Session with the purchase you made?

No they did not, but you can get it in the website at a fairly good rate (It's within my affordable range).

I plugged straight into the guitar jack behind. Guitar -> Fast Track -> Laptop

The signal is weak, very soft despite putting full volume at "mixed section; input VS. playback".

I've tried plugging into my amplifier, it can go louder but I've gotta crank it up. Haven't tried the microphone, I think it will be better. Though I will be using the microphone input jack more. Have you tried plugging in straight into fast track? Without any preamps.

Just guitar -> Fast track -> Laptop.

Thanks.

Regards,
Poolo

levels on fastrack

yes, have done that: guitar > fastrack > computer. the recorded signal is not very strong but I've got enough room on the audio clip to play with it in the mix with some compression and eq. no problem getting it to the level where I can mix with a recorded vocal track from a dynamic mic.

it's certainly not like recording with a preamp or DI box, but i guess the fastrack was made for ease of use and not for the best feature set (certainly not at its price:). i have a behringer preamp that i use with it sometimes, as i also have a samson condenser mic for the voice overs i would very infrequently do. but it's a hassle to connect to a power up a preamp and then connect to an audio interface. the fastrack just sits next to my desktop and when I want to record I just plug in a ready usb cable and it takes over audio chores from my soundblaster live (for games). i like it for its simplicity.

but if you're really particular about the recorded levels one thing i read long time back was getting a 1/4" to XLR plug to connect . that way you can plug in your guitar to the mic input and use the mic input control knob in front to amplify the incoming signal. i've never tried that myself though, and i'd suggest you ask the dealer first if he'd advise against it or risk frying your box :)

=Chrys

No problems now. I'm on guitar -> amp -> fast track. Thank goodness I have a jack output for extra headphones or something. Can now adjust my gain level through my amplifier.

Thanks for your help chrys. Great tool I must say. Cheers!

PS: Next up is a Shure SM58 mic! Lol.

Regards,
Poolo

Back