electric guitar **

may_day_day

hiya all, ive been playing acoustic for sometime now and wanna switch over to playing electric. Problem is, i dun really know which electric to get. I have a budget of ard $2k and already have an amp. I looking at an electic that sounds and looks good.
All suggestions welcome guys! thx!
:D

first of all, some questions that you might want to answer before anyone can recommend, for 2k budget, you can get a more than decent electric guitar for playing :D

1) what style of music are you looking for in playing electric guitar
2) What sort of music are you into,
3) Who are some of your fave guitar player(using electric guitar)
4) Are you into thin/flat neck or chunky neck
5) prefer 21, 22 or 24th frets
4) Prefer single coil tone(stratocastor), humbucker tone, tele tone or
anything in between

5) Prefer an electric with floyd rose or fixed tail

6) With piezo incuded or without(only if you want to have the acoustic sound in the electric guitar)

7) Into solid body guitar, semi hollow or hollow.

There are just some of the questions that i can think of now. But if you can provide some answers, it might help a lot in giving recommendation

hi! ok.
rock, im playing mainly rock stuff on the new electric. Im looking for a chunkier, warmer tone. Not like the type of tones single coils produce.
may i know wads the difference between floyd rose and fixed tail for electric?

for your information, tremolo is a technique used to play, ie tremolo picking. or another word for some types of bridges is tremolo.

with a stop tail piece ala gibson, you just dont have a double locking or vintage tremolo.

doubt you can get a prs for 2k :) might wanna try a gibson lp studio instead

gargamelesp said:
for your information, tremolo is a technique used to play, ie tremolo picking. or another word for some types of bridges is tremolo.

So you mean without a tremolo you can't tremolo pick? Tremolo is just like whammy. Tremolo picking is a flurry of picking in one beat. So with or without a tremolo, you still can tremolo pick.

Personally I feel that if you're not into super solos...or u're not much of a tone freak... or a dive bomb freak...etc

U shld get a fixed bridge type guitar. For chunky rock...blues...pop... can try those PRS....Gibson...

SGs and Les Paul are good.... get the H-H setup...its good enuff... no need single coils....

Personal preference....

gargamelesp said:

with a stop tail piece ala gibson, you just dont have a double locking or vintage tremolo.

doubt you can get a prs for 2k :) might wanna try a gibson lp studio instead

tremolo can be used in different area depending on how you look at it. Tremolo can be also an effect of stuttering sound, square wave, saw tooth rising, falling, sine wave etc.

There are seldom one definition of term for music. Tremolo to some can be effect, can be the bridge, can be a technique or even to some, a tremolo bridge can be called whammy and to some, a whammy is the digitech pedal

i seriously think you should do much more research first before attempting to buy such a high end guitar. anyway the order of cost for gibsons are as follows, just a rough guide and excluding limited edition models etc

cheapest lp studio, classic, custom

sg's have thinner necks and the body is much lighter and is a very different shape too. totally different guitars imo

Maybe u can also listen to people who play them and get an idea too....

PRS - Carlos Santana...(my memory fails me beyond him)
Les Paul - Les Paul himself, Jimmy Paige (Led Zep) , SLash (GnR) ... (and almost every other self respecting music dude...lol)
SG - Angus Young!!! (AC/DC)...(and almost every other self respecting music dude not playing a les paul)

Haha..sorry, my memory is not very good....and I'm pulling ur leg for most parts...

but the gist is, you can listen to the guitars used by artists... CDs...other people...do more research..etc...

may_day_day said:
hi! ok.
rock, im playing mainly rock stuff on the new electric. Im looking for a chunkier, warmer tone. Not like the type of tones single coils produce.
may i know wads the difference between floyd rose and fixed tail for electric?

Warm and chunky tone? Got to be gibson. Les Paul are warmer and bouncy than SG.

Back