Dr. Duck's AxWax & String Lube

naviros

Alright, my first review. Don't shoot me for this, if I didn't do a good enough job, kindly state where I'm lacking and I'll follow-up.

Aren't you tired of wearing your strings out? Played for less than a week on a new pack of strings and are they already subjected to a vicious chemical warfare? I've.... alright, not really found a solution :twisted:, but something to make it last just a wee bit longer.

IMG_9633.JPG

List Price : SGD$15
Availability : Standard Value, Novelty Music, TYMC

This inexpensive, multi-faceted stuff is well known to many in the guitar world as an excellent cleaner and polisher. Because it is free of wax, abrasives, silicones or acids, it can be used to spruce up even delicate vintage finishes. Use it on hardware, tuners and over pickguards.

Luthiers will love how just a small portion darkens streaky fingerboards and bridges as it conditions the wood. It can be applied even after the board is fretted without danger of tarnishing the frets. One bottle is enough for dozens of fingerboards.

Application
Easy enough to use, just get any ol' cloth you got lying around (alright, I'm joking, depending on your level of concern, get something better... lint free cloth works fine too.), dump a tad bit on the cloth at a corner or something, then start applying. Just keep going, until you got your whole guitar nice and oily... No, I'm not joking. You can apply it ANYWHERE. I've just done my fretboard, strings, body, neck, bridge, tuners...

Results
Lets start with the fretboard. On my rosewood fretboard, it looks nice and dark. Sufficiently moisturized to say the least, but it looks even darker than when I had it filled up with whatever oil they used to use on rosewood fretboards. Looks like it'll last a little longer on that aspect as well.

Frets, yep, look nice and shiny. You might want to take care not to apply too much oil though, might get a little to slippery to control your bends. Use a dry cloth to finish up excess if needed. Not really sure if they protect metal, but feeling wise is a tad bit smoother. Don't go expecting massive changes (oh look at me I can bend 3 strings one after the other in 2 seconds flat! Nope, not gonna achieve that with just lube), but you'll notice a slight change in the feel.

Neck feels slightly like its been newly lacquered. Its a love hate thing. I like my necks matt, so its a little bit of a problem for me (sticky), but should dry up just fine after a night. Oh yeah, does wonders on maple too. My maple neck looks a might finer. Visually you can really see the difference, instead of a matt blurry grains, you get clearer defined, well polished sort of look. (Not really good at explaining, and I forgot to take before after pics...)

Alright, the body... My RG's reddish flames have never been livelier. Lets just say I'm not one too particular on taking care of the body, but since I was cleaning my strings, might as well... Now it looks nice and glossy. Although you might wanna let the oil sorta dry off or something, felt sticky on my body (even after wiping down) after a little playing to test the fretboard and neck.

No, I didn't lube my electronics. I have this crazy idea in my head that if I did that, it'll catch fire when I plug it in or something. But on the rest of the hardware, metallic parts, yes. Doesn't deal a whole heck of a difference, but I rest much easier knowing that something is done.

Pro:
Easy Application
Affordable
All-In-One cleaner / guitar care

Con:
Sticky sorta finish on neck (subjective)
Takes a little while to set/dry (meaning you gotta play tomorrow instead, unless you wan lube all over your clothes or something)

End Take
In conclusion, if you have 15 bucks lying around somewhere, consider shedding it on the AxWax. It'll definitely liven up your instrument (looks-wise), and protect it while its at it. Definitely for those who have Les Paul Standard Faded, or any other type of un-lacquered wood. It'll re-moisturize and protect the wood. I'll get back to you guys on string protection though.

Will do a follow-up in a week or two, to tell you how long my strings lasted after applying the AxWax. (Shouldn't be too long given my Ernie Balls normally last only a week or so before getting broken in, and two weeks to start corroding... Yes, yes, we all have sweaty palms that excrete radioactive waste...)

Last edited:
Alright~! I'm back with the review update!

After more than a week, I'm happy to announce that my ernie balls ARE ALIVE!!! Surprisingly, my strings have yet to show any signs of corroding. This is with continued and faithful wiping down after playing with the axwax.

Remember my comments on applying the axwax elsewhere? Well, time only can tell how those will last, but a little tip on application on top of what is written at the back of every bottle.

Application:
1. Apply A SINGLE DROP of axwax on a piece of cloth
2. Wipe down your string/frets/fretboard/neck/body/etc.
3. Always, I SAY ALWAYS wipe off excess with a dry cloth.
4. Leave it to set for half a day or so. A full day if your neck is matt finished, and you like the playability of such a feel.

Comments on String Life:
It does prevent much corrosion from occurring as quickly on your strings, giving much needed life to it. I will continue the cycle, and see how it fares after a month of use. Playability wise, strings feel great. After the axwax sets in, feel is good, not as slippery etc. When played, has the same nice feel as per when you have it just restringed, and played for a few rounds sort of broken in feel. Even tone wise, for my ernie balls, they don't sound as bright as what you'd expect from ernie balls straight out of the pack, but have a nicer mellow broken in sort of tone. Its like an athlete that has done a great warm up and stretching, all ready to rock the stage. I don't know about other brands of strings (don't have that many guitars to test all brands etc.), but if you're like me, you love the mellow broken in ernie ball tone (which normally doesn't last that long due to wear), axwax will extend that feel/tone for you.

Though I'll probably warn the serious bending/whammy people, its a coating, not a oooo I'm applying metal reinforcement to the strings sort of formula. After excessive use, it will still snap.

Great review naviros! :D

I have been using one recently and it's great!. I can see that it prolongs my string life. The smell reminds me of a cola type candy.

Oh! It's also available at TYMC for the same price.

Great review naviros! :D

I have been using one recently and it's great!. I can see that it prolongs my string life. The smell reminds me of a cola type candy.

Oh! It's also available at TYMC for the same price.
Hahaha... thank you.

If you're using a different brand of strings, don't mind adding in your 2cents worth? ^.^

I'm particularly interested on its effect on coated strings.

haha i didnt know that i had to wait. i polished with all my might then wiped down with all my might but still not shine. but after a while then i see woaaaa. nice. or maybe its just me who put too much of the axwax? i wish the dispensing hole would be smaller. i was like pouring then WOA so much came out. lol.

If you're using a different brand of strings, don't mind adding in your 2cents worth? ^.^

I'm using the Kgarage strings from TYMC. As it states from the back,

E-1st Corrosion Resisitant Coated Silvered Steel
B-2nd Corrosion Resisitant Coated Silvered Steel
G-3rd Corrosion Resisitant Coated Silvered Steel
D-4th Corrosion Resisitant Coated Nickel Steel
A-5th Corrosion Resisitant Coated Nickel Steel
E-6th Corrosion Resisitant Coated Nickel Steel

Before I started using Ax Wax, I only wipe down the strings with a dry cloth. After a week, it started to rust. Now with Ax Wax, I don't see any rust on it after 2 weeks.

I''ve been using this Dr Duck AxWax for few months. Yes it did prolong the strings life and I only need two or three drops. But it's a bit oily and I usualy did a repeated wipe off with a dry cotton cloth so that it won't affect my playing.

Just got a bottle ystr. spent 3 hours cleaning my LP have to say it gives the instrument a shine that even the dunlop can't give, thi is awesome stuff!

Oh no ! I used more than 1 drop cos I thought the spot dried up :x anyway, how do you tell if the guitar parts are smooth and not just greasy ? And is it 1 drop for everything like strings, back of neck and body ? It's my first time using a guitar cleaner. Thanks ! :)

Using more just signifies that you need more time to let the thing dry...

To check whether its sufficient, I look at the cloth I'm using to apply it. If it becomes butt dry then yeah, you need another drop.

OMG I like use EIGHT drops every cleaning time! Haha. Two at each corner (e.g. neck, body etc.). Love the difference it makes on the fretboard. The rosewood is daaarrkkkk...

I would recommend removing the rust first... Its more meant to protect than to remove. I've yet to try removing using the Axwax, but protection, it does its job.

hey, do your fretting fingers get black stains after you have applied the axwax on your fretboard? i seem to get that all the time and i have no idea what the black stain is..

Is it still wet when you play after applying the axwax?

It might just be dirt from your fingers... (like how you dun see it, but with friction dirt just appears) Try washing your hands with soap before playing..?

Latest posts

Back