"Dodgy" offer to be part of compilation

THOA

Hi guys,

I just got this message on my Myspace. Am wondering if anyone else got it. And if I should go for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I heard your song, “Last Man Standing” and I am very impressed with it. We are currently working on a benefit compilation CD titled “Industrial Underground”. It will feature up and coming industrial artists from across the scene. I believe that your song would be a perfect fit on this project and I would be honored to have you take part.

My name is Danny Bryant, and I am a project manager with Quickstar Productions, as well as a musician. Quickstar Productions is a company that specializes in designing music-marketing campaigns and supplying digital distribution services for record labels and independent artists. In 2005, Quickstar Productions released its first Comp CD as a way to promote unsigned artists. This CD was extraordinarily successful in accomplishing its mission! Over the years the company has built off that success and perfected a marketing plan to maximize exposure for the artist. Quickstar Productions is based out of Baltimore, MD and is an active member of the Maryland Better Business Bureau with an “A” rating.

“Industrial Underground” is a CD designed to raise money and awareness for the issue of climate change through partnerships with the Go Green Initiative and A Brighter Planet. Keeping with the spirit of helping our environment this will be a green CD. It will be printed on recycled paper with natural inks. Money raised from this CD will be donated to charities like the Go Green Initiative, as well as organizations like Brighter Planet who help lower the carbon footprint of corporations and individuals. On top of their financial contributions, Quickstar Productions believes in helping to raise awareness and continuing education on important environmental issues like climate change.

We really want this CD to make a difference to our planet, but we also want it to be advantageous to the artists on it as well. Therefore we have designed a complete marketing plan for the CD. “Industrial Underground” will be marketed and made available in the following ways:

1. PHYSICAL SALES: You will receive 50 copies of the CD to sell at whatever price you choose. These will be professionally produced, retail ready CD’s. We recommend selling them for $8. That way you can make $400. You keep 100% of your sales. This is a great way to get more merchandise to sell at your shows and also a way to target other fans in your genre. The idea is that when each artist sells their 50 copies, the other artists on the CD will have their music exposed to other fans of your genre of music. Therefore, your song will be exposed to many new listeners.

2. DIGITAL SALES: The compilation will be made available for sale in all digital stores including iTunes, Rhapsody, Wal-Mart, Napster, and Amazon. Your song will also be available as a ringtone that your fans may purchase. You will receive 50% of profits generated.

3. EXPOSURE: The CD will be sent to record labels, marketing, and management firms. Along with the CD, a booklet featuring your picture and bio will be made available so they can learn a little bit more about you. In addition, free promo copies will be handed out at concerts in the Baltimore/Washington area. Quickstar Productions will also promote the album through the use of MySpace.

4. RADIO: The CD will be sent to college and internet radio stations and be featured on various podcasts throughout the world.

5. NETWORKING: Developing a network with other musicians is key to one’s success. This comp CD is a chance to do so. You will be provided with all the other artists’ information before the CD is released so that you can start show swapping with one another, networking and helping each other out.

To have your song included on our upcoming compilation CD please visit our website, Quickstarproductions com, to download the submission forms. We do not charge a fee to be on “Industrial Underground” but we do ask that you purchase 50 CD’s to distribute at cost ($175). That way we can cover the costs of the project so that as large of portion of the proceeds can be donated as possible. This will be the only cost to you. One of the most important parts of this project is getting the CD into the hands of fans. The more CD’s that you are able to distribute the more exposure everyone gets.

Please check out www QuickstarProductions com for more info on this compilation. Since we plan to release this CD as soon as possible, we ask that all submissions be returned by July 15th. If you're interested and you'd like to talk more about the project, feel free to contact me! I try to check Myspace but I'm more easily reachable through e-mail or by phone. Thanks, and I hope to hear back from you soon! We appreciate your interest in helping fight climate change.

Rock on,

Danny Bryant
IndustrialUnderground @ quickstarproductions com
quickstarproductions com

Office 443//552//7058

PS. If you would like to check out the other CD’s we have done they are available on iTunes, Napster, eMusic, Amazon, etc, just search for “Quickstar Productions”.

Exactly my point.

On one hand, for USD $175, international exposure is pretty enticing. I'm trying to see it as an investment.

What I really wonder though, how many bands are being "promised" this.

try posting this on some american forum, ug or something. If this is a scam, some of them might know a thing or two.

Well, if you can afford to spend that much for some exposure why not. Afterall its not just through CD. They will try to bring it to online purchase, college and internet radio and you don't have to spend anything on that. If they really mean what they say. I didn't go into their site to understand further.

Most of our bands got this last Sept, Armen.

USD175 is nothing but ultimately could be pointless. You are better off using the money to send your promo copies to overseas websites/ fanzines which have a more focused and direct audience/ database.

I've received many different messages like these from soundclick in various versions. Actually, I thought one or two was them were quite geniune as they have no strings attached and really want to partner (won't go into details). All the others were simply ridiculous. I just ignored all of them.

Thank you all for your response regarding this.

I remember a somewhat similar things with regards to a book of poetry collection as well, where by I was told my poem is part of a boo with a collection of poems and that I am invited at a convention in the States. Each book cost more than a 100 bucks, though.

I never doubted that the song will be part of the compilation. I just doubted the worth behind the money spent for this. I never heard of Quickstar prior to this.

Woah, close one there.

But there's this one guy on the harmony central link that said

"My band did the rock for life compilation with Quickstar and its legit. They sent us 50 nice looking pressed and packaged cd's, remastered our song (sounds great) and now our stuff is on Itunes. If you don't believe me go to the itunes store and search Crash Coordinates.

QUIXSTAR IS A PYRAMID SCAM! NOT THE SAME THING!"

HMMMMM

Another one:

"I want to say we actually did a compilation with Quickstar productions through myspace. I am not 100% positive, and I thought it was a scam at first too, but we did get a CD with our track + many other bands. Supposedly we were supposed to get money for digital sales of the compilation and we never did."

Interesting isn't it?

Last edited:
Everythings a scam cause losing out isnt what mahority would want.This is just the future of doing business.Through the net.Its investment.Prepare to lose to gain.

Everythings a scam cause losing out isnt what mahority would want.This is just the future of doing business.Through the net.Its investment.Prepare to lose to gain.

Investing your money wisely and being a total dumbass by throwing your money away are two different things.

They're charging you 175 USD for 50 CDs and to put one song of yours on a compilation disc with a bunch of other equally unknown bands, their not going to promote it or distribute it. Just think about that for awhile.

You have an employee's kinda thinking.Scared of losing.Which businessman are willing to take risk to be rich and successful?Almost every top businessman out there.

So people like Donald Trump was a dumbass when he was younger?Think about that for awhile.Its all about delayed gratification.Nobody can earn instant cash unless you're a hot shot.

Back