Dampening Ring Or Moongel ????

murderdolls

guys i nt sure whether u got this problem anot. but i keep getting this problem. when i hit my tom with the ring on and it make the ring moving. den the sound become bit weird.. cuz it vibrated the ring.. anyone can solve this problem ? or should i go for moongel ? which one better ? cuz the main thing i wan is to make my tom sound very dry. So Moongel or Ring ?

guys i nt sure whether u got this problem anot. but i keep getting this problem. when i hit my tom with the ring on and it make the ring moving. den the sound become bit weird.. cuz it vibrated the ring.. anyone can solve this problem ? or should i go for moongel ? which one better ? cuz the main thing i wan is to make my tom sound very dry. So Moongel or Ring ?

I personally prefer moon gels. It creates a really nice dry sound sans the ringing. that and I feel its more durable. Just my opinion though, but you should try the moon gel and judge it for yourself to see whether its what you want.

Its really about personal tastes. :)

neither is better than the other but moongels are more flexible; if it isn't dampened enough with one piece, put on another. if it's too dampened, cut the moongel in half. and they don't move so it'll solve your problem.

moongel ? hmmm.. OH ya ! how bout Evans Mini-Emad ? it seems alot better den moongel. moongel will destroy drum heads but Evans Mini-Emad wont.

moongel ? hmmm.. OH ya ! how bout Evans Mini-Emad ? it seems alot better den moongel. moongel will destroy drum heads but Evans Mini-Emad wont.

Why would moongel "destroy" the drumhead? I've used them for over 10 years now and I never had any problems. The first 4 pieces I bought more than 10 years back is still around...and working! Only thing is its no longer as pretty looking as when I first bought it lah...its kinda grey instead of that funky blue...ha!

Not sure why anyone would like 'dry' sounds... I think you'll grow tired of it one day. I've recently moved out of the heavily muffled tissue-paper zone and I think I appreciate a good round low sound from my toms... Even my snare's no longer muffled at all. Lol... To each his own though. And duct tape leaves ugly glue on the head :(

neither is better than the other but moongels are more flexible; if it isn't dampened enough with one piece, put on another. if it's too dampened, cut the moongel in half. and they don't move so it'll solve your problem.

Yes. Agree. Moongels are definitely more flexible. Another good use of Moongels is that you can place them on cymbals to cut down some overtones if your room accoustic doesnt allow and take them off when you are performing live in a more open area.

To the person who thinks Moongel will destroy the heads: Do you have any idea what you are talking about or what Moongel is. Refrain from making comments if you have no idea what it is in the first place. Because it sure doesnt make one look very smart...

Wats the use of a dampening material (Moongel or Duct tape) if u aint got no resonant heads for your drums. It totally defeats the purpose of having a dampening material when U got no reso heads...

Go get decent resonant heads for your drums..

Yes. Agree. Moongels are definitely more flexible. Another good use of Moongels is that you can place them on cymbals to cut down some overtones if your room accoustic doesnt allow and take them off when you are performing live in a more open area.

To the person who thinks Moongel will destroy the heads: Do you have any idea what you are talking about or what Moongel is. Refrain from making comments if you have no idea what it is in the first place. Because it sure doesnt make one look very smart...

whaooo.. fierce.. lolx.. anyway.. im using moongel for my drumset and its realli useful... it doesnt fully kill the tones... so it will have just nice "echos" .... yeap.... rankg sports sells... quite cheap.. ermz..6 for... ermz.. i tink not more than $15.. i tink..

i tend to use rings on my toms, and moongel on my snare cos i want some of that ring. and sometimes on my cymbals as mentioned already.
i have experienced the "ring vibrating" problem before. all i did was spend some time tuning the drum properly and that solved it.
just my 2 cents.

i tend to use rings on my toms, and moongel on my snare cos i want some of that ring. and sometimes on my cymbals as mentioned already.
i have experienced the "ring vibrating" problem before. all i did was spend some time tuning the drum properly and that solved it.
just my 2 cents.

Of course tuning is important as well... haha.. i like my lower to be alittle looser than top... then plus the moongel.. hehhe.. i dun put moon gel on my snare thou... i like it to ring!! hehe...

Not sure why anyone would like 'dry' sounds... I think you'll grow tired of it one day. I've recently moved out of the heavily muffled tissue-paper zone and I think I appreciate a good round low sound from my toms... Even my snare's no longer muffled at all. Lol... To each his own though. And duct tape leaves ugly glue on the head :(

Err because not everyone has the luxury of having their drums as loud as they want and need to dampen the sound as much as possible...

hmm. my experience is that o-rings cut more then moon gel. yea.

yea and alvin is right. moongel does last very long. BUT it does turn grey as time pass. haha.

now i am using evans ec2s. and yea the sound control ring already dampens the ring. yea. so i dun use anymore o-rings or moongel.

I put a HQ dampening pad on my snare cos I rly need to be as quiet as possible, toms have mufflers and stuff inside. Then the pad ah wah all the black material that it's made out came out and ruin my snare head :(

Back