Composing songs

Cloudsky

Hi, i'm in the midst of composing a hard rock song for the excelsior gig.
How can I ensure that i'm not ripping off from some other song? :eek:

Listen to as many songs from as many styles as you can.
Then let your friends (honest ones) listen to the songs.
Drop the ego, ask them if it sounds like any other song.
If it does, ask them to point the part that's similar to them.
From this point on, it is up to YOU

Many successful songs sound like some other song. There is only 7 notes in western music. 12 if you count the outer tones.
You decide whether you want to change, or to just go ahead with the song.
Personally, if the chorus sounds too similar to another song, I would change it.

Pier.

its very hard to say, "ripping off songs"....

u never know on the other side of the world, if someone has created something like urs, or worst, exactly like yours.

lol i also nv hear before got such thing happen. anyone got any experiences? not say copy, but like by coincidence...

Many songs sound similar to each other, since the history of music is hella long, but 2 songs will never sound exactly alike unless a cover of the other. Personally I think many people will inject the styles of their influences into their own compositions, since if they like the music they hear, naturally they'll try to compose something along those lines.

There are notable exceptions where artists deliberately used or remade the material of other musicians but didn't cover the song though, Jimi Hendrix comes to mind, he took the riff from Cream's Sunshine of Your Love and reversed it to compose Voodoo Child :lol:

I disagree with the whole '2 songs never sound alike' I think basicaly alota bands nowadays use the same power chords progression over and over again, if you notice. 1 outta every 4 songs WILL have the same chord progression.

But ya, i totally agree that alota song writers use their influences and write their own songs. Not sayin it's wrong or anything, the only thing that does change in a song are the melodies.

That's just my experience with song writing anyway.

yo sh here ^^.. yea.. i notice that too.. man.. too many ppl with same chord progressions now..
WE HAVE TO CHANGE!!! :twisted:

I disagree with the whole '2 songs never sound alike' I think basicaly alota bands nowadays use the same power chords progression over and over again, if you notice. 1 outta every 4 songs WILL have the same chord progression.

True, a lot of bands have the same stuff in their songs, but their songs aren't exact replicas of each other right? :D There are so many parts of the songs that will make it stand out from others, the intro riff, bridge, chorus, solo, outro riff etc.

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

Arg, just have to use some common chord progressions for the time being(gig is about 1 month away) :eek:

here are 2 songs that sounds familiar to me.

Michael Jackson - Give In To me

Dream Theater - Endless Sacrifice

Theres nothing wrong with ripping off other peoples stuff.
If you wanna rip, rip those unknown bands you think nobody has every heard of. dont bother ripping those popular stuff like G'nr or metallica , you wont get away with it.

either that or

You ripped off a popular song. When someone ask you about it, You'll just say "hell yeah! we !@#$ing ripped off G'NR". The point is, wear your influences proudly on ur sleeves.

everybody started by ripping off somebody

sofyan said:
here are 2 songs that sounds familiar to me.

Michael Jackson - Give In To me

Dream Theater - Endless Sacrifice

eh sofyan send me the song by michael jackson leh...i'm a dream theatre fan u know...hearing about this ripping thing..i really gotta check out michale jackson. can u add me in msn and just send to me??

Back