Axe FX II FW5.0 Recording

dezng

Hi Guys

Over the weekend I did some "djent djent" metal recording on my Axe Fx II. It was done direct, no amps, no cabs, no mics. Just direct Axe Fx II USB out into my MacBook Pro running Reaper. No mixing just plug, record and render. Thats about it. Usually I don't run FRFR cos no matter how I tweak, I can't get a better tone compared to running my Matrix power amp/cab setup.

Recently updated to the new 5.0 firmware and it rawks! I never thought they can get any better but Fractal always manage to push the envelope. The new dynamics tabs is on a whole new level. Now even on FRFR, it sound so much like an amp in a room and through the 5" studio monitor it can seriously move some air.

IMHO, I can't find a stock IR that works for me. For this patch, I used a Kalthallen Cab - 002Tube-SM57-V30-4x12.syx. I think they sound so much "realer" and do not have a fizzy high end to it.
If you keen to try them, you can get them free at this website http://cabs.kalthallen.de/ (these guys are from Germany and I got nothing to do with them, just giving credit when credit is due):

Here's my humble recording of some random djent based on PVH6160 amp model (EVH5150 Head) on FW5.0:

http://soundcloud.com/dezng/evil-pvh6160-fw5

This patch/recording is pretty djent and bass heavy. Please listen it through a FR monitor to experience the full effect. Tell me what you guys think? Does it sound "authentic" coming from a digital modeler?

If anyone is keen, here's patch.
Download Evil PVH6160 Patch

If any bands keen on recording via the Axe Fx maybe we can also work something out too!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sounds pretty good to me. Lots of bottom end also. I find the stock IR in the Axe good enough for any recording actually. Using mainly german 4x12 and some Redwirez Mesa Recto 4x12 cab v30s. If you are going for djenty tone, i would recommend trying out the FAS modern (not sure if it's in the AFX II) and VH4. How do you find the poweramp + cab set up? I just got some decent monitors for my Ultra after using headphones for more than a year.

Here's a recent mix I've done. Guitars are re-amped with FAS modern with stock German 4x12 IR.
http://soundcloud.com/shinodax/lol-nice

Credits to the band. Through Arteries. Original mix is here.

The mix sounds fanastic! Very well done.

Both FAS modern and Diezel VH4 are still in Axe Fx II. They're also my favorites. You should give Kalthelen Cabs a go too. They're free and to me they sound very real. The stock IRs are pretty good but I can get a good mic sim of of them. For my patch I disable the mic and that took away some of the high end fizz.

Monitors are still the way to go for recording and mixes. For power amp setup it's really for more of a traditional amp in the room sound. Sometimes I need to have the thumping chug and moving air for shiok sake. Lol. They do sound bigger than monitors if you know what I mean. I guess it's the 12" cone doing what they suppose to do.

BTW, the new FW 5.0 is really a game changer upgrade. The new dynamics tab give even studio monitor a much much more organic and even close to amp in the room feel more than ever. You should try to get the Axe Fx II. Hope your waiting list coupon comes up soon!

Cheers!!

Thanks a lot =D

I will give it a go when I feel like tweaking the Axe. After getting the Axe for a while you will just feel like playing your guitar instead of tweaking the Axe. Been quite a while since I've tried new IR. Too lazy to put it into my Ultra as it's quite troublesome and it doesn't show the name :rolleyes:

That's why I monitors instead of poweramp + cab. Almost ordered in the ART SLA-2 and a cab to try. I'm so deprived of that normal tube amp sound, especially after I sold my triple rectifier + 2x12 cab for the Ultra.

I'm always in to get the AFX II but thinking of going through all the hassles really turn me off. I'm perfectly pleased with the Ultra. Plus I do not need the additional function such as USB, headphones etc. But sometimes I will be thinking of downgrading the standard to get some cash back. :p I guess when the waiting list comes up, the temptation level will be sky high. hahaha!

I never owned the Ultra but from the ppl that did, they noticed a significant improvement in feel. I guess the only way to find out is to A/B both units. But given the on going developments for the II it might be worth the while. Hopefully they can resolve dealership here and interested buyers need not go through the hassle anymore.

Back