aidi in need of guidence

aidi

hi!! im new to this website.. im introduced to this web by my bro... he's also a member here!! his nick is *wan*.

for the start.. im 16yrs old and just picked up on guitar only 1 month ago!!... for sure i do not know to play much on the guitar...

I only know a bit of playing bass guitar... i dont even know how to start for guitar!!!.. i hope u nice ppl out there can help in a way or two..

my favourite bands are metallica, guns and roses, iron maiden, and many more... all of which are influenced by my bro...

ur bro is good influence, haha anw welcome to soft.com.sg, enjoi ur stay and hope for u to prosper as a guitarist/bassist

heloo welcome..im also new to soft...and im also learning form these nice ppl out there..so well ill give u whatever that ive gathered from asking around so far...from your bands listing i suppose you wanna play rock n metal right? sorry if im wrong...but if its true...hope the following help you man..

learn Techniques like :

Alternate Pickin
Palm Muting
Sliding
Harmonics
Hammer Ons
Pull Offs

Learn chords as well..

also got this site off a good friend..

www.cyberfret.com

it has lessons in it which u can go to and learn..

and the best advice given by everyone here is.. Keep practicing and dont give up :) hope i was of help..

hey dark_knight!!!
thankx alot for ure utmost contribution!!
it is deeply appreciated!!....
yep ure correct im into rock and metal genre...
i want rock till i drop!!
haha...
aniwaes... thanx again!!

Hey... you can basically get lessons off mxtabs.net or other tabbing websites... Most of them are useful but not all of them work. The people who write the lessons are nearly professionals so you can rely on those. Whats most important about the guitar is PRACTICE. I practice quite often... Say once a day? About half an hour or so... its good enough. It may seem boring, but it is VERY useful to practice the chromatic scales placing emphasis on your little finger. As time passes, you will gradually get stonger and u will find that the songs that seemed so difficult and distance are now all within ur reach. Your influences and songs are of higher standards, so you may want to start with something similar.

hum... thanx for the advice... i just wanna asked, is it better to practise using the acoustic guitar or electric guitar? which one is better? which one helps, let say, strengthen my finger muscles? :D

hi there and welcome to S.O.F.T bro!!! :)

In my opinion you will have to start off with an acoustic first. If you notice, the bridge (the part of the guitar where it holds the strings on place) of the acoustic guitar is raised a bit higher will the electric's is slightly lower. In this way, yes. the acoustic guitar lets you build up finger strength, especially if you wanna do barre chords.

So what makes a good guitarist?? The 3 Ps: Practice Practice and Practice

Good luck :wink:

Hello aidi,welcome to soft! :D

Hope u will enjoy your stay here,btw don't neglect ur studies too! :wink:
If there r any doubts about any problem ,just ask us and don't hesitate because the people here are very helpful and friendly . :p

Last but not the least, keep on rockin' :smt035

aidi said:
hum... thanx for the advice... i just wanna asked, is it better to practise using the acoustic guitar or electric guitar? which one is better? which one helps, let say, strengthen my finger muscles? :D

imo depends which one you want to play more in future. i agree with wan about the strength pts. on the other hand, playing electric is different from playing acoustic. Some factors need to be considered:

1. Standing or sitting while playing electric
2. Increase in frets/neck length
3. Working with electrical equipment such as guitar, effects and amps

So yeah, do consider these aspects. I do think that these are skills that are also mandatory to learn when you pick up electric guitar. 8)

wah.. so nice your bro. so touched... awww....
eh...welcome aidi! welcome to the family... in more ways than one huh? :wink:

aidi said:
are you being sarcastic duskalways?
have u heard this phrase?
brotherly love?
uwahha..
sarcastic? 8O no, no, not sarcastic!! infact i don't get it! but welcome to the SOFT family! :smt017

Acoustic Or Electric?

Sorry for the late reply. You see, an acoustics neck is much thicker compared to a electric's. Taking an example of me, i started of playing in a classical guitar ensemble in my skool, so i started with classical. You know appregios from hell? play that with increasing speed and your fingers will really be very strong. When all of us start of without guitar experience, the strip of muscle in the bottom half of the finger is not developed. When u start playing scales of arppegios, u can feel it gets warmed up and tired, this is a sign of your finger strengthening. Don't underestimate this, guitar gods like slash or vai and even yngwie still does this from time to time. You will be able to achieve solos and shredd like a god after doing these. Don't forget to PRACTICE!!! some good songs to learn which are helpful are metallica, master of puppets, or even stairway to heaven by led zeplin. Of course, these are the intermediate songs. Don't ever lose interest, guitar stays with u for life.

Hey man got any recordings?

I have been playing guitar for a couple of months but havent progressed much. just wondering what otherpeople sound like after a 1 month of playing.

Back