Why you should record your playing

ATW10C

Why you should record your playing?

For Fur Elise, I noticed that the handover from right to left hand was not smooth on the last key. eg
RH - D# E D# E D# E B D C A
LH - ...............................A E A

I played with a slight pause between C and A. Physically, I could sense a slight hesitation as I engage the left hand but auditorily, it seemed ok. When I listened to my playing, these pauses irritated me like hell. hehehehe

And I would not have consciously begin to correct it if I had not recorded my playing. What you hear as you play and what your audience will hear may not be same.

I used a simple set up to record. My Casio CTK3000 gets plugged directly to my PC via USB cable which uses an onboard Realtek chip. Wondered if there will be latency but nothing significant. I dun think I will want to go for a graded hammer for my next keyboard. The CTK3000 is not that light and I have gotten use to having some resistance to my fingers. I now find some of the older Casio with non velocity sensitive keys way too light. An acoustic piano that I tried was a little heavy for my left hand and a bit floaty. A Roland stage piano action for some reason seems not floaty though.

Then use Minihost to host a piano vsti and Minihost has record functionality. http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

Anyone with a copy of the freeware Cantabile Lite (VST host) that has been discontinued? Can't find one.

Last edited:
for me, i always play:

R: E, E flat, E, E flat, E, B, D, C, A...
L:.........................................A E A

sounds awfully right to me, u can try =D

together.

R: ...A.......C E A B...
L: ...A E A

shldnt be wrong bah, i learn orginal sheet de.
where is ur video, i wan see :D

together.

R: ...A.......C E A B...
L: ...A E A

shldnt be wrong bah, i learn orginal sheet de.
where is ur video, i wan see :D

I also play together but your "dotting" made your LH's A come slightly after the right hand mah.

No video, sound files only.

ohh. mayb i nv notice my dots. =P
anyway, fur elise is a nice song, especially the middle part which is a happy feeling.

mayb u can video it, den post on youtube, so every1 of us in soft can view it =D

ohh. mayb i nv notice my dots. =P
anyway, fur elise is a nice song, especially the middle part which is a happy feeling.

mayb u can video it, den post on youtube, so every1 of us in soft can view it =D

Yah, maybe one day I will remix it ...

Interesting to learn how certain classicals are quite "timeless". When I tried to learn Minute in G proper, the modified pop version intrudes.

http://www.geocities.com/musiclassical/pops.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGDZc9bdUZM

yeah, classical is timeless indeed. you and me are quite similiar who has a favouritism on classical music. hahas...

for me, i prefer Canon in D, Fur Elise, Carmen Habanera, Moonlight Sonata.
hopefully in sept i can video some of my music during my holidays to share with u.
;)

Try this.
It is classical (late 18th Century) yet most will remember it as a song someone with sideburns made famous (Pop Chart #1 or so). And there was a huge remake of it 30 years later. Its a very good demonstration that melody is the heart. All the rest are historical incidentals.

Its like Joy to the World (the pauses are important) but you go up the scale

F, C, F
G, A, Bb, A, G
C, D, E, F, G, A, Bb, A, F
F, C, F
G, A, Bb, A, G
E, A, C, E, D
E, A, C, E, D
E, A, C, E, D
C, C, A, C, A, Bb
F, C, F
G, A, Bb, A, G

I will post the videos of it later, let u try try and enjoy working the pauses. :D

Last edited:
Back