What to do after guitar scales?

wawapapa

Ola amigos,
I have been in this Situation for 2 years already.i find that my playing is not getting any better.
When i first learn my scales,i find it fun playing over backing tracks.After 2 years of doing so,i find myself stagnant.my phrasing is not acceptable to my number of years plying the guitar.
My question to all the guitar gurus is that wht is next after the majir and minor scales?
To be honest,i have no interest in learning othe scales(blues,mixolodyan ,etc)

How do i start incoporating my knowledge to what i want to sounds like?

My guitar inspiration is john mayer, eric clapton and some of the modern blues artist like scott mckeon and carl jr...

Im very desperate to get out of this plateau.
Mmmmmm....Help??

take those songs that you like by john mayer , eric clapton, and transcribe them next you figure out what chords they use and the chord progression, after which you see how the melody line relates to the chord progression.

I can under from your standpoint cause likewise I'm having some difficulty improving my phrasing. The solution? Learn songs, it's the only way you're going to be more musical. Learning scales is good but dangerous if you don't actually APPLY them. Since your already know your maj and min scales, it will help to understand a little better when playing the solos in the songs. After learning and being able to play the songs smoothly, you will naturally be able to phrase better. After all, you picked up an instrument to play music not learn scales, so lesson of the day? LEARN SONGS. All the best.

i agree with VENGEANCE.
Learn new songs... BUT those songs that's out of your comfort zone.
I was in your situation few months back, but my friends told me to listen to other genre of music and learn them. There are techniques that can't be done if you stick to one genre.

For me, i listen to rock very very much, but i got stuck and i cant play a certain song well due to some unknown techniques. After listening to jazz and other genres, i found out that those techniques actually came from those genres.

Listening to songs that are out of your comfort zone actually helps a lot. "You will learn to appreciate those music and understand why other people like them". Exact same quote i got from a friend of mine. I know it sucks listening to songs you done like,but that's the only way to improve(for me that is).

Cheers ! :D

GREAT!thanks,i admit i havent got any better eversince my last post..pick up the guitar then put it back down again cos i wasnt able to do anything new...
decided to try out diff genre..

i play john mayer but after today,ill be doing some avenged sevenfold...haha..i know right...

thanks for the tips:)

Go and actually learn the pentatonic/blues scale. It's ironic when you said that your influences are blues players such as Eric Clapton, Scott Mckeon but you don't want to learn the blues scale? Since you already have the major scale and minor scales down, good job. Now you just need to remove notes, it's not hard for you. I started out wanting to shred and all those nonsense but the blues is purely about phrasing, expression, which is what you stated that you want to improve. It will provide a different perspective to what you are doing. You don't need to become a blues player, just explore this genre, it will definitely help. I'm not a pro but just speaking from experience.

And like the others said, it helps to break out listening to other genres.

Last but not least, phrasing takes time, it's a language. You didn't learn English in a couple of years, did you?

Here's a useful link regarding the pent/blues scale
http://guitar.about.com/od/specificlessons/ss/pentatonicscale.htm

All the best and continue to rock,
Cheers!

learning the scales only allows know to know the scales.....what u really need to know are the relationship btw the chord tones(notes) and chords,...thats should help u to choose the right notes or chord tone for soloing

and also the "interval" btw the notes.....

some can phrase well by learning the just the scales.... its cause they can feel & sense which note they are playing against which chord

so if u can't sense, you may have to dig into the theory part of knowing the notes really well, not just the scales, start with chord tones first....thats the easier way.....

Back