What songs to learn?

anonpersona

Can anyone recommend on the general songs a noob bassist should know before he can start jamming with bands? Since most of the bands here are rock based, I will prefer to start with rock songs so I can blend in easily with the guys without being blur like sotong :)

Hope to get some help soon, thanks!

hmm yea start with what u like.

Like i started with Muse.

Muse is really great but i dont think its beginner quality try some thing really simple like Smoke on the Water

Beatlemania!

Beatles songs are great songs to start with. It just depends on your taste.

I agree that you should be familiar with the song you play so that you can enjoy it too.. am also a beginner in bass.

I am just learning to play:

Come together (easy)
Oh Darling! (can learn some familiar bass lines)

What I liked about beatles songs is there are many bass tabs available and are quite accurate too!!

totally agree with ben, learning songs that you like not only gives you more pleasure in learning, but also will give u the urge to play, slowly as u browse through your music library, surely u will find some songs that have interesting bass lines which u are capable of, then can go learn :D thats how i improve myself..

Zombie by Cranberries.. Quite nice and not difficult to play

Em C G D/F#

Can listen to the track on youtube and try the bassline.

Chasing cars by Snow patrol also easy.
Every breathe you take - Police
With or without you - U2

Cheers

Seems like almost every band is playing Muse, Greenday and Blink182 songs these days. Sounds quite easy, what are the common songs they usually play?

I want to get myself well prepared to join a band :)

Zombie by Cranberries.. Quite nice and not difficult to play

Em C G D/F#

Can listen to the track on youtube and try the bassline.

Chasing cars by Snow patrol also easy.
Every breathe you take - Police
With or without you - U2

Cheers

ohh you can try The Reason by Hoobastank. interesting how they make such a simple song sound so nice :cool:

greenday you want the easier songs, try out their newer albums. like american idiot. it's all single notes mostly.

for their older albums more moving abt on the fretboard which i find much nicer. like "when i come around"

I suggest a little bit more advance than beginner stuff, but not that hard

Battlestar Scratchtica - Incubus
Lonely Day - Phantom Planet
Santeria - Sublime
Fine - The Cardigans
Rats - Pearl Jam
Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Dancing Shoes - Arctic Monkeys

seirously. get a song you like, and learn the bassline, its much much more enjoyable that way,

just dont forget to take note of the key your playing. the scale, family notes, etc etc.

Your influences come from your favourite songs/bands, and shouldn't be limited to bass-heavy songs. I fell into that trap early on, and became quite an overplaying bassist. Sometimes, simplicity is the key.

Back