what snares do you guys have?

snare

hi,

i'm lookin for a snare that has a sound similar to lars ulrich snare on metallica and justice for all album,does anyone know which type of wood,depth of snare and width that will be able to get tt kinda sound.how many ply of wood should the snare be and what type of wood?does the depth of the snare also matters to get that kinda sound.
if i use a ddrum S4 maple snare drum 7 X 13 inches will i be able to get that sound.will want something with tight kinda sound with little or no reasonant.
one of the drum sound i like,is local hardcore band stompin ground,song-man machine on the lion city hardcore compilation released sumtime ard 1992,has anyone heard tt track before,it has an awesome snare sound heavy and tight,does anyone know what kinda snare is that?

Hey Rayz.

i have been using the Lars Ulrich Signature 14x6.5" Bell Brass Scorched Earth for quite awhile now. I don't think i'll ever be selling this snare. It is a good buy. If you're looking to emulate his sound, i guess the easiest way will be to get the equipment that he uses. However I didn't buy it to try and emulate his sound.

you can check out my recordings at

http://www.myspace.com/allurarock

The clips Limbo and Ladeda are with Remo Ambassador tuned fairly tight.
Album Sampler's with an Evans Power Center tuned similarly as the above mentioned.

Im making a random guess but i guess the sound you're looking for might be closer to that of "Limbo"

Last edited:
snare

hi,
thanks for the tips,ya band sounds awesome,for metallica and justice for all album he was actually using a maple snare,and the other albums he uses bell brass,i'm lookin for somethin with little or no reasonance,wat depth and how many plies of maple wood must the snare be?how does the number of plies of wood it is made affect the sound or tone of the snare,besides the head what other factors involve in cutting away the reasonance to give a tight and heavy sound,like most hardcore and punk bands snare sound.lets say if i buy a gretsch 10 ply maple shell,maybe 5.5 X 14 will i get tt kinda sound,wat depth and diameter must i have?should i use 8 or 10 ply maple to get tt kinda sound?thanks for ya help!

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

Just wanted to share with you guys after my wood hoops came in!
The snare's a 14x6.5 Walnut BP.

wow! where to get those triple throw offs?

my porkpie avocado 13x6 just arrived. some photos at turbochicken.blogspot.com

Jeepers- Some day we need to arrange to meet up and jam. Anyway, do you still want the triad strainer?

Turbochicken- Why not post the photos on soft? Anyway, I ordered through Swee Lee.

This fri I'm..... NOT having the day off, surprisingly. Hmm but in the evening I'll be at Music Lab for bass class, maybe can pass to you then? Remind me on thurs night, so I can pack it into my bag.

Shit, sorry man. Didn't check back. How about you pass it to me when I head down for the Music Lab student concert at Blujaz?

And dude, bass classes now too?

By the way, can't get enough of the your snare. Great pictures!

Sounds cool. See ya next monday!

Yeah, bass...... see, I can't drum at night, so I figured I should pick up something else non-classical that I can play when I get home without worries!

Yup yup. Quite likely I'll be there, but I'll confirm again with you by the end of the week in any case.

Cool. How's it? I used to play bass for a bit, but gave up after deciding to take drums more seriously.

Back