What seems to be the problem?

residentdandy

Hi everyone,

I'm on a mid-2010 MBP 2.4 C2D with 8GB ram. I am using the M-Audio 61es midi controller direct USB to my MBP without an audio interface.

I've recently purchased the Best Service Peking Opera instruments which come with Best Service's Engine player.

The problem I'm facing now is this: when I press a key on my M-Audio 61es (or trigger the key by clicking on the virtual keyboard with my mouse), the corresponding instruments seems to lag or hang for a while or jitters before producing a full sound. This is the case only for certain notes, not all. In other words, it appeared to take quite a while to process the certain sample before it was able to produce the sound.

Do any of you know what might be the problem here? Is it the absence of an audio interface, weak processor, insufficient memory, or...?

Thanks!

You're probably using the Windows WDM drivers, which will give you significant latency. Download ASIOforall (free) and install the ASIO driver. Select the ASIO driver from within the Play engine and you should be fine.

By the way, the ultimate chinese instrument VST is still Kong Audio. If you're into chinese instruments, do take a look.

I assume you are using OSX rather than windows.
It been a very long time I use Best engine.
It will take a bit of time for the sample to loads.
Also the streaming from harddisk will affect it.
You have to search whether the sampler allow you to load more sample into the RAM.
Then it will reduce the jitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I'm on a Mac though, so I doubt I can do what you suggested (right?)!

I wish I could use Kong Audio too, but I can't --I'm on a Mac! :(

You're probably using the Windows WDM drivers, which will give you significant latency. Download ASIOforall (free) and install the ASIO driver. Select the ASIO driver from within the Play engine and you should be fine.

By the way, the ultimate chinese instrument VST is still Kong Audio. If you're into chinese instruments, do take a look.

Yes I'm on OS X!

What do you mean by loading more samples into the RAM?

p.s. in the event that that is not possible, what can I do? Is this an issue of processor speed/power or audio interface?

Wish to help but I removed it from my computer.
Normally, when loading an instrument sample bank.
The sampler will load a portion of every sample files needed into the RAM.
The sampler or DAW will read from the RAM then stream from the harddisk for the rest of the sample when needed.
The technical term can be vary from different sampler.
For Motu, they will adjust by ms or millisecond.
Lower the ms, higher the usage of RAM.
EXS24, there is only two option but I forget the names.
Native Instrument, you can load the full instrument sample in the RAM if you have enough memory.
You have to look at Best engine preference.
If you have Logic, you can put the buffer size to lower value and sometime it will trigger the third party sampler to reload the sample size in the RAM.

I did it!

It worked! Thank you!!!

Hmmm I'm just surprised it takes so much longer to stream from the HDD.

Back