VSTi into Hardware Sound Modules

Bobl

Hi,

Do you have any idea on how to transplant VSTi into hardware module for live performance without the computer?

Thanks in advance

VSTi = Software Synth = soft synth.
Hardware sound module = Hardware synth = hard synth.

soft synths are created to emulate hardsynth on the laptop/pc/mac.

so not only I don't have any idea , it's impractical, then you're just better off buying a midicontroller with good synth sounds that sounds better than your soft synths.

unless you're talking about a backing track. then just play it at the right time but you still need a laptop or an mp3 player of some sort.

I've seen that before a long time ago when the first product came out

does look like receptor can do the job as long as you can afford $1.7 - $3.2K USD excluding tax/shipping etc. you may wanna have a private discussion with your wallet about this. this is somewhat like the sampler version context of how people would use UAD DSP cards to do their mixing/mastering via "tapping from an external hardware module/procesor".

so high end laptop+higher latency audio interface (unless RME/apogee or something) vs receptor.

Yes, I do agree with the price.
We done one live before with the notebook+drum pads+keyboard+audio interface and the powering up time of the notebook, messy setup.

yeap it is a messy setup, I know your pain too well since I do location recording since 2006. but 5 years later it's sort of "do it with eyes closed" kind of numbness.

then this receptor is your best option. basically Receptor from what I see now it's a "mini cpu+low (2ms) latency audio interface with no recording function, and which you can install software VSTis into" priced high for portability and stability. which is pretty justified if you demand for it. I would get it in future after investing more in my preamps / guitar sound gear / and drum sample library then computer BEFORE i get a sampler to pair off nicely with it. it's more "luxury" than "necessity" in my situation but for you , you need the performance for "Live". looks like you can even "hack it open" and replace the hard disk with a bigger one in future or as backup! hehe. very nice futureproof gear.
gd luck!

Honestly speaking, the cost of Receptor doesn't quite justify it.

The slow notebook startup can be a pain. I just completed 6 sessions of live playing Roland VR760 + my notebook setup using softsamplers. Gave me a headache. Some times, I had to edit the samples on the fly (yes, I mean editing in the sample editor during live playing!!!!). Perhaps the reason is because I'm still using Kontakt 3.5 and have yet to upgrade to 4. But it's no fun to do that.

Alternatively - use NI Komplete with Kore 2. I'm going to get Kore - esp after this last session(s) for the past 3 days. It should load third party VST. I use Chineekong stuff as well (not the percussion, but mainly the winds and strings). My notebook - despite the slow startup and some pain sometimes, it doesn't crash. Even if it does, I know exactly what to do. But so far, in all my live playing, it hasn't crashed on me during live playing once. If the Receptor crashes (which it does), well...it's probably going to get more tricky. While preparing (and programming) for my last session that was just over, I had been researching again and trying to find the best way to do it live with minimal pain and quick access to all my samples/VST. I even gave Plogue Bidule a try. I was about to try VSL Ensemble Pro. In the end, my conclusion is that I should just get Kore 2. Actually, I'm going to wait for Kore 3 - hopefully it will come out soon (with 64bit support).

Last edited:
Oh, just remembered. If you really want to spend money, you can always go for the Neko. Just another option, although I wouldn't recommend it. Costly, not upgradable easily (ie DIY), it's still a PC underneath (although it may boot up faster)...but it is an eye-catcher during gigs if you use one!

Hi Cheez,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I have done one live in a variety concert. Because of the setup time, our gig was put as the first item. A bit scary.

Can you not set it up much earlier? I had to do one concert last year. Mine was the 5th item (the item before mine was a dance). I had to leave everything running on stage (set up at the side) till I go on stage - my notebook etc hooked into my Yamaha S90 via midi, audio interface into DI box, wires all over the place... It was scary in a sense that my notebook may crash without me knowing, some dancer may trip over a wire and damage my setup etc. But in the end, everything was ok. I only had to go on stage, hook up my in-ear monitors, press a few buttons on my notebook and play away. No crashes.

Yes we did set up earlier. Just few minutes before the curtain up, someone knocked on the firewire cable. I had to restart my notebook. I suppose Mac would not have that kind of problem. Unfortunately many VSTi's do not run on Apple.

Yes, that's indeed my fear as well. I guess Neko will be the best solution - no cables to fiddle around with since the PC is built in. Too bad it's too expensive. Perhaps we can make our own? Seriously! Build one from scratch!

Back