Virtual pianist??? Now you don't need to know how to play a keyboard...or do you?

Cheez

https://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=125

I'm highly offended by this! I know it's innovative and may be helpful to songwriters who are not keyboardists/pianist...but this?????

Toontrack should just stick to making drums samples. But then again, drummers probably aren't too happy with their drum products replacing them as drummers...

screenshot1_big.jpg

Never used garageband, but I thought it's mainly looped-based. That means you are limited to the loop. EZkeys works in midi and hence changes are more varied, editing also goes deeper. I really hate their "Smart transpose" function... :(

Smart instrument for iPad Garageband isn't that deep with EZ keys. The concept is about the same. Example smart piano: Turn on autoplay,touch any 3 right and 4 left hand position under the chords. The smart string even more awesome. Mac Garageband isn't that smart.

Actually you are right! Band-in-a-box is quite similar, but still have a feel that it belongs to the realm of an "arranger keyboard" (like the auto-accompaniment features in Yamaha's PSR keyboards) - which means limited variations. EZKeys is claiming "unlimited creativity through it's groundbreaking functionality" (quote). Auto-accompaniment type has midi sequenced note by note. Sequenced midi played by a real player is different - it's more realistic, probably not quantized strictly, has the nuances of playing sequenced (not just notes with different velocities) and will sound more like a player playing it. Just like their EZdrummer and SD, they will probably start to develop more midi sequences for piano using some big names (e.g "Chick Corea playing your songs", like how Native Instruments try to market their piano sample by sequencing Alicia Key's grand piano...).

We should have seen it coming. I recall when ultra-realistic samples start replacing bass players, brass and wind players, guitarists, drummers etc - the instrumentalists were crying foul because they are being replaced in the recording studios by us keyboardists - who are now playing all their parts with a keyboard sounding almost exactly like the real deal. We were laughing at them then. I recall a some time back when I posted something about the Les Paul sample by Prominy (LPC) and quite a few guitarists were offended how they are being replaced because of the realism of the sample (quick reminder for those who don't know about the Prominy - http://prominy.com/les.htm; check out the video links, taking note that it's developed about 7 years ago using technology at that time).

We feel we owned everything - we can emulate all instruments, but we are irreplaceable! Now...the joke's on us. WE are the ones being replaced!!!! Soon, they'll start developing tools to improvise notes, not just using sequenced midi...

Last edited:
I am sure someone is working on an app to sense what the user wish to hear, generate the original sound/music and blast it through Gamma-ray directly into the user's brain. Everyone can 'think' of their own original music entertainment then.

Yes, that will be the ultimate! I can also predict that the next step after that will be using that same technology for mind control...

Last edited:
Back