Tuning by ear.

floppy

Hi!

I've been wanting to learn how to tune your bass by ear, since I lost my tuner recently and haven't gotten a new one yet. What I do is memorize the sound/tone that I get after I've tuned it with a tuner, and next time try to recreate that sound when I'm tuning it again. But I don't know if I've done it right or not. So I wanted to learn from guys on how to tune properly. My bass teacher does it by using a piano, so I want to learn how to do it like that or using another instrument.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Don't trust you ear. :p
the best way to tune a musical instrument is always by some equipments. :)
unless you're so talented in your ear and can spot a minor off tune in the tone or something. :)

Hi!

I've been wanting to learn how to tune your bass by ear, since I lost my tuner recently and haven't gotten a new one yet. What I do is memorize the sound/tone that I get after I've tuned it with a tuner, and next time try to recreate that sound when I'm tuning it again. But I don't know if I've done it right or not. So I wanted to learn from guys on how to tune properly.

Thanks! :)

I didn't mean just by ear, I should edit that post. My bass teacher can tune it by using a piano, so I was wondering how do you do that. ;o

if you're using a piano, find the notes that correspond to the open strings of the bass and 'compare' the 2 notes, using the piano as a reference. Then tune the bass until they match. That's how my teacher did it sometimes (guitar-guitar, i've never done bass-piano but should be the same theory). The assumption you make is that your source of reference is in tune or else both instruments will be off.

My bass teacher can tune it by using a piano, so I was wondering how do you do that. ;o

your bass teacher tunes by ear and he did not include in his first lesson and everytime you come for lessons?
what the use of have a stupid bass teacher like that? you are wasting your money bro...you go to learn bass and you dont get taught how to tune?
who is your teacher? some idiot bass player i guess.....

find the notes on the piano, recommend u tune the G first since its easier to get it right from the higher frequencies.

what u wanna do is play ur string and piano together and see how much waves it forms. u will hear this wave going in and out, try to eliminate that sound.

then next u tune by harmonics. hit the harmonic on the G string 7th fret, and the harmonic on the D string 5th fret. tune to eliminate the wave thingy.

then hit D string 7th fret harmonic, and A string 5th fret harmonic. tune the A till u eliminate the wave thingy away

and then A 7th fret harmonic and E 5th fret harmonic, then tune the wave thingy away and ur good to go. unless u have 5 or 6 string bass. then u get the pattern...

anyway guys, whats that wave-y thing called ?

or go to this website.

http://www.get-tuned.com/old_bass_guitar_tuner.php

but imo nothing beats using an electronic tuner. in the long run, a tuner will train your ears to tune properly even without a tuner because since you are always in tune, everytime your bass goes off tune you will notice immediately and it eliminates doubts on your mind that your off tune which can ruin your playing.

tune by ear - make sure the reference note is the same as the note being tuned

i don't know how that is useful. but just because there are no advantages over electronic tuning doesn't mean you can't be able to do it. you should at least be able to tell when you are out of tune to a reasonable accuracy

cheapest way to tune is a technique i learnt while playing classical guitar. get a 'A' (aka 440Hz) tuning fork.

hit the tuning fork so that it vibrates. bring the end of the fork (not the end with 2 prongs) touching on the guitar string (one at a time) where the note 'A' should be without pressing down too hard (so has not to press down onto fret, like how you do harmonics). if properly tuned, the string will resonate LOUDLY in 'A' at the point where the tuning fork end touches.

repeat the cycle for the other strings.

fun right?!

Back