thomastik infeld jazz flatwounds

tobias

i think i'm pretty outdated, but after reading the forums @ talkbass, decided to splash on a pack from red dot music to string on my american 57 p bass, omg omg~

strings2.jpg

strings.jpg

first impression, weird gauge, v. tight flat wound-ed, dull finish..
honestly, i wasn't v. impressed when i played the first note, maybe i'm used to steel strings(high tension, high output),
adjusted the action, settings on the amp (more bass, more mids, less treble)

played the usual blue licks, oh man!! incredible sustain, smooooooth-ed out notes and tone.
it sounds really sweet with the tone down all the way.
theres really sth special about them man...

anyone here use them?

first impression, weird gauge, v. tight flat wound-ed, dull finish..
honestly, i wasn't v. impressed when i played the first note, maybe i'm used to steel strings(high tension, high output),
adjusted the action, settings on the amp (more bass, more mids, less treble)

played the usual blue licks, oh man!! incredible sustain, smooooooth-ed out notes and tone.
it sounds really sweet with the tone down all the way.
theres really sth special about them man...

anyone here use them?

Yupps, got them on a fretless. MWAAAAAAH!.... :)

2134806325_b95a94a7e2.jpg

yea man... cool bass u've there.. whats the fretboard wood?

the tension is great too.. esp for fingerstyle and thumb.. great for tedious licks 8)

Im currently loving flats, but im not using the thomasik flats but lakland joe osborns instead. I love playing them fingerstyle, you get a very nice warm and smoothen out tone. And even with a pick, it seems to have a nice hollow grind against the strings. But does not sound good when you pick a lick with 2 or more strings played at the same time.

really? i think it sounds great when i pluck chords..
the only thing tt it can't do most prop is slap.. :D

anyone tried the TI jazz roundwounds?

not pluck (fingers) bro, like pick (strum) chords. you dont get as full and even a sound like roundwounds. Esp with some dirt.

but flatwounds aren't supposed to mwah leh... put some rounds on it and it'll mwah

i used to have TI flats, but didn't find a use for it. sold my fretless with it.

so Hide27, thats the thomastik infeld jazz flats u have on right now.

yea man... cool bass u've there.. whats the fretboard wood?

the tension is great too.. esp for fingerstyle and thumb.. great for tedious licks 8)

I think its rosewood, but not sure what type of rose wood. I dun even know the brand of the bass!, much less the specs. hah. It says Gheisen on the headstock, but i cant find any info about it at all. The finger board has absolutely nice figuring on it though. i'm hoping its brazillian rosewood, but i really can't tell.

but flatwounds aren't supposed to mwah leh... put some rounds on it and it'll mwah

i used to have TI flats, but didn't find a use for it. sold my fretless with it.

so Hide27, thats the thomastik infeld jazz flats u have on right now.

haha, not sure about fretless, but on my maple board 57 p bass,

the sustain and tone really travel thru very well, thus making the lines more 'linked' together
i used to use fender nickel rounds & GHS boomer rounds, it gives a v. ringed note, but it can't ring tt long and sound tt gd (maybe its the problem with me skills?)
but of course they sounded nice slapped.

but i'm really in loved with TI flats.. not only those tedious lines, but blues, i could slide them thru and forth in ease as its smooth..

any DR strings users here? read from the site they're handmade too? are they good?
i saw at davis, its like 60 a pack too.. (my old ghs is like 30+ only =x)

I use DRs on my spector 6. pretty gd, no complaints but honestly i find it hard to tell the difference between one brand and the next, other things being equal (both roundwounds, both same guage, both new).

Thing is, when we talk abt new strings usually we're switching out old, mucky green things and putting on bright new shiny ones, so they'll obviously sound better. notwithstanding those guys who like a bit of thud in their strings. Im sure they do affect tone, handling etc, but more so once u change the actual make of the strings (say from rounds to flats or from 100s to 95s) than just switching brand.

I prefer light guage so currently using rotosounds on my main bass. tt was the only brand I found here tt carried light guage sixes (40-30 on the G-C). If anyone knows viable alternatives, let me know.

Pardon the rant :p

yea, understand what you mean. but for rounds.. stainless steel gives so much more output and a normal solid note, nickel gives a v. natural bright sound(great for slapping).. for rounds i always like stainless steel, but they really make the fret wear and out of shape man...

but for nickel rounds, i think there might be a diff, esp DR and TI when strings are handmade, and their construction is different also.. eg. TI powerbass
but of course, comes with a price..

haha, but TI flats still rules man..:D

anyone knows where can i buy Thomastik flat wound for bass now in singapore? any shops in peninsula mall area?

Back