Suggestions for FAQ

soft

Administrator
Staff member
I like to put together a FAQ (frequently asked questions) to help fellow SOFTies get the answers faster.

Would appreciate your suggestions for these FAQs.

Thanks.

Hmm.

Maybe an FAQ for individual thread sections?

Always keep seeing questions like "which guitar to choose?" in the Gear - Guitar section which often involves some joker who never bothers to mention his influences, genre of choice and budget etc etc.

Same issue involves questions like

"which distortion / od pedal to choose?"
"which amp is best?"
"which multi-efx to get?"

Would really help if we stickied some of those threads or maybe post them as links inside the FAQ?

Again, after KennethC has raised the issue, I would like to ask SOFT to open up a subforum under Guitars for questions. So no one has to go through the utter ridiculousness of judging what questions should be answered.

Agree that it's a gd idea to have FAQs. Not saying it'll solve the issue of newbie Qs that irritate ppl, but at least there's a database of newbie issues for ppl to study and explore.

thor, I hope you know that I am not advocating "judging of which Qs to be answered". I'm saying ppl don't need to be so mean abt things...if u aint happy w the thread, don't reply, I'm not saying that all newbie Qs are currently completely ignored and should be attended to.

I take ur pt on "informed newbie Qs", hopefully more newbies do some research.

Cheers

I know what you mean. To get people to change mindsets is another story though.

To be honest, try answering some of the utter ridiculous questions, and you might be able to see why people become cynics. I'm not for that either, which is why I say we should be looking at how to solve the problem rather than discussing who is right and wrong.

In short, we need more people to walk than talk. If you consistently walked and replied to the newbie questions, I think you would have a more acute understanding of the problems and issues.

I'll walk when I deem it necessary la bro, I mean if I think the Q is crap then I'll try to heck it instead of being mean. There's no need to reply to all newbie Qs, is what I'm saying.

I guess I haven't proactively tried to answer most newbie Qs(cos I'm not all that experienced myself), so I'm not a cynic, YET.

I'm beginning to understand why you guys can get so upset with some threads, like those few that have just popped up today... :? But I'm gonna try to not be mean abt things. try la ya.

It'd be interesting to try to find ways to solve the prob, though I'm still not convinced culling threads and being mean is the best way to do it. Being all nice prob doesn't help either.

Ok la, Happy New Year! =)

Happy CNY bro! :)

I think I'll try not to post too much. Too much internal angst inside me. Emoticons work fine. :wink:

One quick suggestion. Perhaps coming up with a flow chart for recommendation of gears (guitars, keyboards, drums, other stuffs) may help. Everybody contribute and add to the flow chart, render it into jpeg, and James can put it up in the FAQ.

ima cynic and sometimes i just wonder what has this forum really turned into la. but i guess maybe there should be some stuff on what guitar to get for certain genres, maybe the popular choices and stuff like that cos i think the music scene is kinda growing and theres gonna be an influx of this kinda thing. gets on the nerves after a while. ive tried to ignore it but i just cant. some are just beyond hilarious and ive gotta poke fun.

it's all good. i will take some time to do it up. if anyone like to help out, just let me know.

maybe we should sticky this thread topic too :D

when someone asks of how we could make the forum better, we can tell to do a search on FAQs or stuff thats been discussed before about how to help noobies.

Methinks, sometimes the questions are valid, no matter how noobish they may be.

For instance, A guy asks which pedal/guitar to get for blah blah in 2006, everyone will recommend their opinions based on whats at hand till that point of time, but 2007, new stuff may have come out by then, and there will be different opinions then based on previous recommendations.

answers will evolve and i agree with kenneth, you can always choose to ignore.

(I know that the above is a one dimensional example :D )
I noticed that in other music forums elsewhere that has been around longer than this, there is a greater level of tolerance for noobies, no matter how repetitive their questions are.

even when they do tell them to do a search, it is recommended in an encouraging way...without contempt...Bear in mind that these overseas forums are visited by people from different parts of the world with different timezones etc, Not everyone can follow the postings daily...Also , you get to see a different version of the similiar topic every 2 days spouting up, I think its great to be able to see different opinions on different days about the same thing.

My suggestion is just make friends with everyone on this forum and encourage the noobies nicely.I have answered questions before many a times whenever I see everyone diss a poor joe, chill lah, be patient. :D

Crawldaddy's suggestion for the FAQs sounds great too.It will be easier to navigate.

We were all noobs once 8O

ok , ive had too many oranges, sorry :lol:

and I'm still quite a noob. =)

snuff i give u 2 more oranges for ren ri coming up k.

yep, like on tgp and hcfx we see lots of repetitive newbie posts, but we don't see ppl just giving 'em the finger la. Quite encouraging, most of them. Especially those damn lao jiao ones, like been playing guitar for 40 yrs or so. haha.

penta, u're damn funny, like to poke poke ah?! :lol:

Hmm.

Ah great job James! :)

Some other catagories (if there are any such threads to be placed in them) could be:

Buying a used / 2nd-hand guitar
Buying a used / 2nd-hand pedal

Difference between digital / analogue efx pedal. (Asked to the death already)

And of course I know it's gonna be a hugantic task.. because I'm sure there's going to be a situation whereby newbie drummers and bassists are also going to ask such questions based on their respective instrument.

But I think the value-addedness of this site would be elevated if such info was updated. At least the ball has started rolling! :D

if you find any threads that should be listed in the FAQ, please put them here. Could be from any section of the forum, not just guitar stuff.

hey mr.soft, i posted a thread on the gigs n cconcerts page abt NOFX coming to singapore, it had a poll n everything. i cant seem to find it now, can i noe if it gt deleted and why?

Back