Starting Violin

triface

I recently bought a stand for 6 guitars, but I have 2 empty slots because I only have 4 guitars, so I've been really feeling the itch lately to try my hand at the violin. I won't say it has always been my fantasy, but I definitely have toyed around with the idea every now and then.

I have been playing the electric guitar for 6 years, the piano for about 3 (though I haven't played it for a duration long enough to forget most of my repertoire) and I have studied a bit of music theory on my own up to about the level of chord construction.

I'm considering getting a violin that is really budget and is meant for students. I know that I'll be getting what I'm paying for, but honestly I don't see myself getting far enough to the point where it is obvious the violin is holding me back (especially since I have little intention of taking lessons for a long time, if at all).

• How likely is it that a cheap violin would be difficult to play?
  • How important is the quality of the bow, both tonally and in terms of ease of playing?
  • Is a violin difficult to maintain? I'm not fussy enough to feel the need to change the strings so that they sound fresh. However, do the strings break easily? A set of strings easily costs 5 times more than a set of guitar strings, so I'm a little apprehensive about the potential for high maintenance costs.
  • Does the bow require maintenance or periodic replacements? How often is it that the bow ends up getting frayed?

I know I come across as a little irreverent and nonchalant about the whole thing, so I have to apologize for that. I just wanted to make it clear that I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of getting a reaaally cheap violin.

Cheers!

Back