Simple songs to start slapping??

benjso28

Hi,

I find that Dani California is quite a good song for those who want to start learning slap pop.

Just the verse part. Chords are Am G Dm

Just slap the A (5th fret on E string) than pop on the octave A (7th fret D string) than use the same concept for G(3rd fret on E string) and Dm( 5th fret on A string). Than can play a simple Dm pentatonic scale, than back to A (5th fret on E string).
Don't have to follow exactly how Flea does it but listening to it can give you an idea how you can execute it.

Any other songs? Pls share.

Thanks.

lol,i didn't noe dani california was played in slap style

i juz mute the string using alternative fingers on my right hand after striking the notes.

try "got the life" by KoRn, quite easy slap to, but then u'll need a 5 string bass...

I didn't know Dani California had slap bass in it too. Don't think it'll sound good. But I digress, I think a good beginner slap song would be to just string together 4 chords and slap a simple rhythm.

G-----------------------5----- 5
D-- 5 ------ 5 --------------
A----------------3 -------x-3-
E 3------xx--------------

A bad tab but I think you get what I mean.

it doenst sound like slap but the music vid shouws that flea is slapping it, weird, anyway, slapping it would sound cool i can imagine it.

you can try slapping on non slapping songs, just imrovise on the scale and use the octaves excessively if you really cant think of any melody :)

Hmm think i nvr said clearly.. Dani California is not played slap style but does not mean we cant do tt. I chose this song cos he was playing octave for the verse part.

It sounded ok for me la. :)

Not too sure if beginner are able to execute the ghost note well but no harm trying.

If want can try this groove (small part taken from 'get up and jump')

-----------------------------------
------5-----3-----5-----3----3h5--
---3----XX----XX----XX--XX-------

Try slow than increase speed.

Higher Ground also quite interesting song. Flea and Marcus Miller tried that. Song by Stevie Wonders.

Cheers

There's this song called 'pluck' by Marcus Miller in his FREE album.

Quite repetitive and just like the name of the song, its more plucking (popping)

i've seen that one some time ago, cant remember properly, but i thought it's just him plucking very very hard.

but yeah slap is just a style, you can play alot of non-slap stuff using slap techniques, and dani california happens to sound very nice when slapped, even though it wasnt slapped for the record.

you can even play slap stuff using pick or fingerstyles. the theme for seinfeld is a slap bassline, but it famously wasn't slapped, or even played on a bass for that matter :)

If you havent realised already, most slaps are played around the octave. Eg. slap the Low A, pop the high A . Just vary the patterns abit and throw in some ghost notes here and there you can create your own slap lines without much effort

Songs I started on:

rhcp - higher ground
rhcp - can't stop
rhcp - suck my kiss

and don't forget to practise. alot. ;)

bro, for someone who seems to know quite a bit about bass, and i'm assuming you're good at playing bass too, why in the world did you choose pete wentz as your nick and pic?

no offence intended, just wondering :)

3 suggestions...

"Running In The Family" - Level 42

"Walk the Dinosaur" - Was Not Was version

"Thank You Falletin Mi Be Micelf Again" - Sly & The Family Stone

Pardon me if anything gonna be posted hurts in any way. But 'falling in love' with é instrument, which is in this case is the Bass slapping & popping that makes you crazy over it. But before you go there, U might want to consider doing a little more steps just to get it right. Just my 2 cents though, exercise those fingers (usually the fore & mid) till it is leveled (in sound) so that another one picking the same tone & volume with the other. After those practice is done, make use of your thumb playing in line with the other two fingers (make it leveled). By now, your hand position must have changed. Carry on practicing and amazed yourself as the 'pop' will start to come naturally. This start will help you control your slap so as not to sound so much louder than you fingering them. For hand positioning, create your own comfortable style. You may wish to see the hand position by Victor Wooten & Alex Sklarevski* for a start and go make your own from there. Just sharing knowledge, I'm a learner too.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoHgfCVbYE&feature=related

Dani California is NOT slapped, go listen properly. Haha. :???:

Octaves are good for beginners.
Aeroplane - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Strawberry Letter 23 - Brothers Johnson

Usually the E and A strings are slapped while the D and G strings are popped, however, this is no rule.

Make sure to add some percussive style to your technique but puting some muted slaps between your pops. I noticed alotta people forget this. For example if you're going to slap a low A once and pop the high A thrice, go like this.
D|:-------7---7---7-|
A|:------------------|
E|:--5-X---X---X----|
Like when your hand comes down for another pop, plop your thumb down on the fretboard.

Excuse me if the tab doesn't come out right. I dont really know how to type down tabs. I play by ear! :mrgreen: Anyways Im new here. So hey guys!

Last edited:
When I started out practicing slapping, I tried to create my own line. Like for example

-------7----7------7-----7----7h9--
---0--------------------------------
-------XX----XX----XX--XX-------

then

----------------------------------------
-------7----7------7-----7----7p5--------
---0------------------------------------7p5
-------XX----XX----XX--XX--------------

Anything that allows you to be comfortable in slap popping is a good help. :D

Oh I'm noob here so help me out.. how on earth do you guys send your pm's here? I'm trying to negotiate over at the Buy and Sell section for a new bass but I don't know how to send pms. Help? Please?

Back