Recording YouTube Covers the lazy-man way.

Schtauffen

Hi all,

Excuse me if I'm using the wrong section.

Anyways, I wonder if there's a way to record youtube covers without going through the hassle of syncing the audio after the recording.

I'm not so much bothered about the quality of the video as long as the quality is better than a handphone camera.

I have tried using my webcam and connecting my DTX to my computer from the L/R to Line-In jack but ended up with out-of-sync video/audio (prolly due to the webcam software)

I'm thinking of getting a camcorder that allows external Mics and doing a setup as below:

Computer Headphone > DTX Aux-in (For the mp3 to play through the DTX headphones)
DTX 1/4 L/R > Camcorder External Mic (Recording everything that was supposed to be in the video)

Of course, I thought of this after a quick research on Google. Apparently a budget camcorder like Kodak Zi8 looks like what I need.

Comments?

Hi Ron,
Thanks for your help again.
I've looked at both the Q3 and the Q3HD.
Although the specifications is better, it's out of my budget, and the battery usage is not what I prefer.
I'm looking at somewhere below $200.
But given your reply, sounds like my above idea is possible :)

EDIT: On a second thought, comercial-battery-operated cameras sounds like a better idea when I need it on-the-move. Time to save up!

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply been busy as hell with recording/mixing , the sudden surge of demands for baybeats submission.

you see, a video camera's "mic input" or "audio input" whichever you call it, has its own "soundcard" . and that soundcard may be buzzy/fuzzy or simply crap if you're using a crap vidcamera regardless of what high end microphone or "audio source". thats why people sync seperately because recording audio and video , will give higher "Quality" results.

I'm using a Zoom H2 line into my Sony SR8E videocamera for www.gigvideos.com and thankfully the "soundcard" inside the $2.7K videocamera is decent although has more hiss than if I recorded H2 seperate then sync. but too much trouble if I were to do this for all gigvideos.

the reason why I suggested Q3HD is because the video quality is great (softie : retardeddrummer reviewed it recently) and the sound is great as well, and it's just press record and go! for a few more hundred bucks you get the pluses of both audio/video for 1 year (warranty) + more. and I can personally vouch zoom stuff lasts pretty long cos I had my H2 and R16 for a few years now, the former H4 i sold to softies here are still using them.

if you're buying rechargeables, my recommendation is Sanyo Eneloop NiMH ones.

i'm not sure if you're a student or working or NSF but starving for one month / working at a fastfood joint for a month will cover most of the costs and to me that's the best trade off compared to spending too much time trying to figure out "an inbetween"

gd luck!

Being an NSF with own bills and a girlfriend makes the $400 hard to fork out for now. :D

But then, thanks again for all the advice Ron!

no prob man. yea $400 is a large amount, go visiting more during CNY clock the bucks then... wait till you get married then you're "giving out money" instead.. it's the best time I conveniently go exile mode..

Back