Question about DIs

orcfiend

hey all, just a question (might sound dumb, but I don't know much about DIs in general) about DI boxes -

ok. imagine i have my bass. and my pedals and such..
a DI box
my amp head / cabinet.
FOH (essentially, your mixer, PA, etc..front-of-house)

is it possible to go

Bass+fx -> DI -> FOH
|
-> DI -> Amp head/cab

In the above diagram, both DI means the same box, not 2 different DIs

So this would mean that I plug my bass from the fx side to the DI, which in turn goes into two dirns (2 cables) one into the FOH mixer, the other into the amp input jack. Which essentially means whatever I do on the amp (EQ, etc) will not affect whatever FOH soundman does? Do you need a special DI or any DI also can..? Plug anywhere?

Sounds confusing but the essence is that there will be 2 different tones depending on who sets what. One from the amp (which has now somewhat become a monitor for me) and from the FOH mix (of which I don't really hear)?

Just asking because this is what apparently Esplanade did for me when my band played there and since I didn't know what was going on, I was quite amazed.

People always do it this way. All D.Is have 2 outputs one being the XLR output which goes to Mixer, another 1/4" output which goes into the amp/head. Some even have parallel output which is another 1/4" output.

Really? I always thought it was Bass to amp to DI to FOH mixer. So whatever stuff i do on my amp, will affect the foh mix.

Which amp are you using? Some amp has DI out.

Hee..hee.. where to tap the signal from will depends on the equipment used and the musician/engineer preference.

If the amp is not very good, might as well tap from the pedal board.

Some engineer prefer not to be affected by how musician twitch their amp. Cause what the musician hear on stage is totally different from what the audience/engineer hear off stage.

Hm. that time I was using a trace elliot 4x10 cab. powerful, and it has the xlr out i think. even my ampeg ba115 also has the xlr out, but because i was thinking of getting a DI, so i wanted to know the possible configs i could use..

dont know which is better leh, the "DI to mix and amp(becomes monitor)" or "DI from amp" method ..? as in my POV , def i want to control my sound, but i dont know from the soundman's POV..

I think it depends. my opinion is that there's no real right or wrong answer. DI from the amp and you get the charecteristics of the amps in the FOH speakers. What you tweak will affect the overall sound. On the other hand, if you want the sound tech to have full control, then DI straight to the mixer.

I am both a bassist and a sound guy, so here's my take...

A DI box just taps the signal (from somewhere in the audio signal path).

It should be tapped after your fx or better still from a pre-amp out on your amp, this will ensure your entire 'sound' comes through the FOH. If you tap after the fx then only your bass+fx (and none of your amps eq etc.) will go to the FOH. If you tap before your fx then all your fx will be missing from the main mix and you'll be at the mercy of the sound guy :???: Ultimately you want the FOH aka the 'Main Mix' to reproduce 'your sound' (with effects, eq, etc..) with the addition of whatever tonal balancing and volume the sound guy needs for his 'mix'.

One major problem sound guys face (especially in smaller rooms) is: the bass coming off the stage (e.g. your stage sound) and ESPECIALLY the low frequency is so loud or prominent in the audience area that it is difficult to add more through the FOH. This really screws up the Main Mix. I've learned this through experience... there were nights where my bass wasn't even turned on through the mains. And it sounded flat to me... but then that was my fault (because I was too loud on stage). If you want the sound guy to recreate your sound in the mains... keep your stage volume low and not too bassy.

The moral of the story is: if you want to have 'your sound' projected through the mains... then tap the DI from the pre-amp out on your amp and keep your stage volume low.. (and don't over boost low frequency on stage). If the sound guy is good, on stage...you'll hear your attacks from your amp (well enough to click with the drummer) balanced together with the 'big bass balls' coming off the mains (the PA system is usually a much bigger and louder amp than yours anyway, so don't try to compete). If the sound guy is bitching... give and take and cooperate, making sure he taps your signal after your fx (or better still from your pre-amp out) and you'll sound as good as possible.

I like to use a wireless... or get two or three 20ft cables and use my fx pedals to create a giant 60ft cord. Then I can walk right out into the audience area during sound check... this is how I know everything is just right ;)

Last piece of advice... pack an extra 9v battery, cause if your bass sounds crappy (lackluster, fuzzy, or hissy) in the main mix, it might mean that the DI box has a flat batt, and I've never met a sound guy who had an extra battery on hand :cool:

Back