Occasional Recording / Mainly monitoring from Iso box

lightice

Hi Guys,

Due to the extremely loud volumes that guitar amps are run, I have decided to build an iso box that is basically a sound proof box that the speaker cabinet can reside in.

The box will be made of MDF in the following config:-

Each side will be made of 2 x 25mm sheets of MDF

110cm (L) x 80 cm (W) x 90cm (H) is the exterior dimensions

Acoustic foam 1.5" thick will be used to line the interior of the iso box to hopefully reduce standing waves.

The system itself should be pretty much sound proof due to the thickness of the MDF used.

And as such, I'd need to eventually listen to what I play through the amp.

Thus I have the following, 2x SM57 to record 2 speaker cabs loaded with different speakers.

A mixer ( haven't got this yet, and I'd need recommendation of this )

I don't really plan to do much recording, although its a good function to have.

Effects processor : Lexicon MX200 to add a touch of reverb if required to both the mic ins.

I plan to play around with the reverb a little.

E.g

Channel 1 Mic - > Send -> return 100% dry into channel 3 Line
Channel 2 Mic - > Send -> return 100% dry into channel 4 Line

This is more to play around with the eventual sound because the iso box may eventually be replicated into my church setting where the guitars are currently not miced up and just dimed all day. (not good)

I have considered the following mixers:-

Soundcraft EPM6 - approx $500
Allen and Heath Zed 14 - approx $800

I'm mostly going to use headphones to monitor as I play, so I can crank the amp up without having my ears blasted out.

What is important is that I need at least 4 mic in, and 2 additional line in channels. I originally was considering the compact 4 from soundcraft, but due to its not too good headphone out and the lack of mic ins, i ditched that idea.

If anyone can chime in on what other mixers I can look out for, it'd be great.
Because maybe the EPM6 and Zed14 is a bit overkill. And for what I require, may not be a wise move to spend the extra money.

You must have read up quite abit on this little project of yours. One thing I realise is the size of the intended box. It is rather small huh? You wont have enough space to try different position for the microphones.

You might need ventilation as the amp will become quite hot.

Unless you are a budding sound engineer which makes this a good learning project, I would suggest getting one of those amp/effect simulator for monitoring.

If you are comfortable with computer stuff, you can try http://soft.com.sg/forum/great-deals/58040-guitar-rig-3-@-resolution.html

Hi!

The speaker cabinet has no amp, its an extension cabinet so heat issues are not a problem.

I have about 30cm allowance infront of the speakers to adjust my mics.

The mic stands are round base and the mics will be side mounted for maximum adjustability of mics infront of the speakers.

They can be directed anywhere from directly infront of speaker to about 20cm away. (not sure if that'll make any diff)

Reason why I didn't go for the amp simulator thing is cause I want to crank the tube amps I got up, but play at a decent volume that doesn't get everyone complaining. And also to protect my ears.

I don't have any recording interface now.

But I'd choose a mixer over the recording interface itself due to its flexibility/ future expandability.

How are the mic preamps on the yamaha mixers?

The mic pres are pretty hot and quiet. I am using it with condensors, recording speech, round-table style.

Ah okay.

I did try to audition the MG10 , but with the USB out at SLS.

The mic / speakers provided wasn't too good. Total lack of bass, but it does have a nice layout.

Thanks.

Back